Table of Contents Hide
- Best Apple Peelers:
- 1. Starfrit Rotato Express, Electric Apple Peeler
- 2. Johnny Apple Peeler
- 3. Cast Magnesium Apple/Potato Peeler
- 4. Apple Peeler and Corer by Cucina Pro
- 5. Starfrit 93013 Pro-Apple Peeler
- 6. R&M International Apple Peeler Machine with Suction Mount
- 7. Apple Peeler Corer, Long-lasting Chrome Cast Magnesium Alloy Apple Peeler Slicer
- 8. OXO Good Grips Swivel Apple Peeler
- 9. OXO Good Grips Pro Swivel Apple Peeler
- Best Apple Peelers FAQ
In this post, I share 9 of the best apple peelers on the market. I explore the pros, cons, customer opinions, and my personal opinion of each product.
Apples are one of my favorite fruits. As a tried-and-true New Englander, I take my pies, tarts, and crumbles pretty seriously.
A came painfully close to losing a few fingertips before realizing that my kitchen was lacking a quintessential prep tool. A good apple peeler is neither hazardous nor frustrating. It will effortlessly transform your orchard-picked fruits into recipe-ready ingredients.
After testing out several consumer favorites and consulting with a few of my closest chef friends, I was able to close in on 10 of the top apple peelers. Let’s dig in!
If your household is anything like mine, you probably have no problem finishing off a bag of fresh apples. We eat them by the bushel. We use them as finger foods, pie fillings, salad elements, and more. So, when it comes to slicing, coring, and, above all, peeling apples, we really cannot afford to make mistakes.
Ordinary vegetable peels just don’t cut them when you consume apples at a rapid pace. I’ve narrowed down the key considerations you should make when purchasing an apple peeler for your home.
Best Apple Peelers:
1. Starfrit Rotato Express, Electric Apple PeelerView at Amazon
This is one of my favorite electric apple peelers. The Starfrit is the Rolls Royce of peeling devices. This black and silver electric fruit/vegetable peeler can run on a 6-volt electric adapter or disposable batteries.
When you are ready to pare your produce, you simply set it between two adjustable holders. The machine removes the outer skin in one clean motion. Since you have full control over the position of the cutting blade, you can avoid making deep incisions.
Overall, this inexpensive gadget is great for cooks with arthritis and other hand issues. It comes with two extra blades and a paring knife.
Customers sat the Starfit helped them avoid hand cramps and discomfort that they would have typically experienced when peeling apples and other skinned vegetables. So, you should be all set with cutting supplies for some time.
- Vegetable/fruit holders that adapt to different heights
- Adjustable automatic cutting arm
- Includes two extra blades
- Built-in blade storage
- Pares a single fruit in less than 10 seconds
- Operates on a standard 6.0-volt electrical adapter
- More hygienic than hand peeling
- Can be powered with batteries for remote peeling sessions
- ABS plastic is flimsy
2. Johnny Apple PeelerView at Amazon
Sometimes it’s the classic kitchen tools that produce the best results. This old-fashioned Johnny apple peeler will remove the skin and core of your apple with just a few clockwise cranks. Depending on your cooking goals, you can set the peeler to simultaneously slice or string your fruit.
The Johnny apple peeler is built to last a couple of lifetimes. The machined metal pieces are even finished off with an apple-red enamel coating. Meanwhile, the suction cup base keeps it from skidding across a counter.
The peeled and cored spirals are a mainstay in my house. They can be chopped into quarters for pie, dehydrated, or eaten straight away. You save an enormous amount of time by using a tool that can complete three otherwise separate steps in a single action.
With all that said, it pays to read Johnny’s directions. I gouged quite a few apples before finding a setting that worked for my extra-large Cortlands. It may be a good idea to keep this mounted on your counter throughout the entire apple harvest season.
Customers love the old-fashioned feel of this Johnny apple peeler. It’s hard to beat a tool that completes three cutting actions at once without the help of electricity. The device’s super-sharp coring and slicing blades make it the perfect match for thick, juicy apples. However, you can also use this peeler on other firm-skinned fruits and vegetables.
- Metal hand crank with wooden knob
- Peel, string, core, and slice mechanisms
- Made from durable powder-coated metal and stainless steel
- Suction cup base locks onto a table for safer cutting sessions
- Perfect for children who like to help out in the kitchen
- Saves you lots of time and effort
- The bright red paint that matches apple skins
- Parts are super easy to adjust or remove for cleaning
- Rather heavy (2 pounds)
- The suction cup doesn’t work well
3. Cast Magnesium Apple/Potato PeelerView at Amazon
Next up, we have a starkly similar apple peeler machine. The only difference is that this one is made from die-cast magnesium alloy. Spiralizer’s Johnny peeler also boasts a lifetime warranty. Not to mention, the company has a dedicated customer service line.
Like the previous apple peeler, this device boasts replaceable, adjustable peeling blades. A super-strong rubber suction cup keeps it planted on your counter or tabletop. Its three-in-one cutting actions really give it an edge over other peelers.
Customers said they were drawn to this Spiralizer product because of its old-fashioned qualities. Most people were pleased to see the charming tool also upped their kitchen productivity.
- Durable die-cast aluminum alloy base
- Adjustable and replaceable blades
- Rubber vacuum base sticks to counter for safer cutting
- Lifetime warranty
- An old-fashioned counter-mount tool
- Super easy to clean with soap and water
- Peels, cores, and spiralizes
- Easy to adjust via metal trivets
- The suction cup does not work well
4. Apple Peeler and Corer by Cucina ProView at Amazon
This periwinkle-blue professional apple peeler-corer-slicer is one of my all-time favorite kitchen tools. It may have a vintage appearance, but it is far more productive than some of my most hi-tech slicing gadgets.
First off, it has a powerful rubber suction cup on its base. This provides cooks with a safe, productive work surface.
The peeling, coring, and slicing elements can all be adjusted to better suit different-diameter apples. You’ll never waste organic material again.
The chrome and cast iron construction are designed to last a lifetime.
CucinaPro makes some of the most luxurious modern kitchen accessories; their Johnny apple peeler is no exception. Although, many felt that the device was not up for the challenge of peeling potatoes.
- Chrome cast iron construction holds up well to years of use
- Peeler, corer, and slicer elements
- stainless steel blades stay sharp
- Blue coating for retro chic
- Works well with both potatoes and apples
- The beautiful finish looks great in most kitchens
- Durable metal construction
- Also available in white
- Doesn’t work as well on potatoes
5. Starfrit 93013 Pro-Apple PeelerView at Amazon
This funky plastic apple peeler and corer attracts a lot of attention. The clear plastic exterior reveals a network of red gears beneath the surface. You crank the handle to set the peeler in motion. The cutting arm removes a thin, uniform strip of skin until your entire apple is pared.
The spring-loaded arm does a great job of adapting to different-sized apples. There’s no need for you to make manual adjustments. The device also comes with a corer. If you prepare a lot of apple pies, slices, or strudels, you’ll never take your corer for granted.
The peeler is also equipped with suction cup feet. As such, you can lock the device down for safer and more productive peeling sessions.
Customers say this product peels and cores apples very efficiently. They love that the spring-loaded arm automatically adapts to fruits and vegetables of various sizes.
- Includes two blades and a cookbook
- Spring-loaded arm adapts to apples of various sizes
- Suction cup feet for added stability
- Plastic protectors around cutting surfaces
- Super easy to clean with soap and water
- Peels and cores, so perfect for pie
- Pleasing clear plastic exterior with working gears
- Blades can be replaced (replacements included)
- Water and juice can get trapped inside the plastic casing
6. R&M International Apple Peeler Machine with Suction MountView at Amazon
This durable metal apple peeler core is capable of performing three separate functions. It can pare, core, and slice apples, pears, and potatoes. The device comes with super easy-to-follow instructions. There are even a few delicious recipes in the included literature.
The durable red enamel-coated foundation will not snap or chip under pressure. The chrome crank and stainless steel cutting elements do a fabulous job of prepping vegetables and fruits.
I found that the blades stayed sharp for months at a time. They could be manually sharpened or replaced.
Customers say this machine helped them pull off bakery-grade pies and tarts. Not to mention, it inspired them to eat more apples.
- Vacuum suction base
- Enamel-coated die-cast base
- chrome elements that do not rust
- stainless steel cutting elements stay sharp longer
- Comes with easy-to-follow recipes and instructions
- Peels, cores, and slices
- Requires zero electricity or batteries
- An ergonomic alternative to handheld alternatives
- Attaches firmly to counter or table
- Does not peel well when dull
7. Apple Peeler Corer, Long-lasting Chrome Cast Magnesium Alloy Apple Peeler SlicerView at Amazon
The Apple Peeler, Slicer, & Corer was built with professional cooks and bakers in mind. The metal device does not use electricity or batteries. It sits firmly on top of most prep surfaces, ready to cut, core, and slice at any given moment.
The metal base is equipped with precision stainless steel blades and a durable rubber suction cup base. It is guaranteed to hold up to years of heavy use. While we recommend hand washing, it is dishwasher safe.
Unlike most other hand-cranked apple peelers, this Apple Peeler model only weighs 1 pound. It has a classic red finish, with a black wooden handle, and some exposed stainless steel.
Customers said that they were super pleased with their purchase of this Apple Peeler. Many said that they’d be happy to gift this peeler to their fellow cooks.
- Super-sharp stainless steel cutting elements
- Durable metal base with red finish
- The metal blade can be hand-sharpened
- The durable suction cup base
- Will hold up through years of heavy use
- Weighs just 1 pound
- Dishwasher safe
- Saves you ample time
- Plastic guides
8. OXO Good Grips Swivel Apple PeelerView at Amazon
To start things off, let’s say that the OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler is much more than an apple peeler. The double swivel blades work well on all curvy vegetables and fruits. The stainless steel blades stay sharp longer than your typical metalware.
The chunky handle provides a slip-resistant grip in both wet and dry conditions. The hole at the end makes it easy for you to store the peeler at the end of the day.
It is easily the best vegetable peeler on the market. It makes quick work of produce. It even comes with a built-in potato eye remover. This element makes it easy for you to tackle spuds.
Did we mention that it is also super compact and dishwasher-safe?
Customers say that the OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler dramatically improved their apple peeling times. Not to mention, they liked that the tool doubled as a potato eye remover.
- Swiveling twin blades with flexible action
- Large, padded handle
- Non-slip pressure-absorbing rubber grip
- Built-in potato eye remover
- Hole in the handle for easy hanging
- Dishwasher safe
- Stainless steel blades stay sharp longer
- Carves without digging
- Can be used safely under wet and dry conditions
- The soft handle makes lengthy peeling sessions more comfortable
- Hands-on activity
9. OXO Good Grips Pro Swivel Apple PeelerView at Amazon
If you’re looking to steer clear of bulky bar-top devices, you might want to check out this sleek handheld vegetable peeler. The OXO Good Grips Pro Swivel Peeler offers users superior control and comfort when tackling firm vegetables and fruits.
The peeler has a slip-resistant rubber handle with extra cushioning. Meanwhile, the shank is constructed from die-cast zinc. The stainless steel blade stays sharp through hundreds of cuts. The free-moving cutting surfaces make this tool suitable for both right- and left-handed individuals.
The grip of this peeler is never slippery. Its proprietary elliptical design keeps it from flipping in the middle of a cut. The pudgy handle is much more comfortable than the narrow alternatives.
The super sharp blade slices through thick vegetable skins as if they were butter. You never have to worry about unsightly gauges or nicks, because the free-moving action glides over the surface of the product evenly.
Customers agree that they never thought they’d feel so enthusiastic about a vegetable peeler. Nevertheless, they seem to hold the OXO peeler in great regard.
- Single swiveling stainless steel blade
- Non-slip, contoured rubber handle
- Super-sharp potato eyer
- Die-cast zinc shank
- Removes blemishes and eyes in a single scoop
- can be cleaned in the dishwasher
- Blade replacements available
- Cushioned ergonomic handle
- Sharp blades can be hazardous
There’s no denying the fact that the skin of an apple contains several beneficial nutrients and minerals. Still, some recipes call for the removal of this thin tissue. In many cases, you’ll want to remove the skin to avoid ingesting wax coatings and chemical pesticides. Paring also comes in handy when salvaging blemished fruits.
Still, a typical McIntosh apple’s skin is only 0.3 millimeters thick. You need an exceptionally sharp food-grade blade to avoid stripping away chunks of flesh. stainless steel cutting surfaces tend to stay sharp longer. Some can even be manually sharpened when they become dull.
When it comes to apple peelers, you have the choice between handheld and countertop models. Handheld peelers tend to be more versatile and space-saving than the countertop versions. They also require more effort on behalf of the peeler.
If you suffer from arthritis or other hand ailments, a hand-cranked machine may be more productive. These machines typically attach to a counter or table via a suction cup or clamp. An ample is inserted onto a holder. Users crank a handle to turn the apple and run it past various cutting elements.
There are also electrical countertop devices. Users are only required to mount the apple. These models are the most friendly for cooks with arthritis and mobility issues.
At the very least, an apple peeler should remove fruit skin. Some models also core and slice fruit. What’s more, some models can be used with similarly firm fruits and vegetables, such as apples, pears, and even mangoes.
Even someone who’s super enthusiastic about apples may have trouble justifying the purchase of a fruit-specific kitchen accessory.
Both children and adults can benefit from the addition of cutting guards. These strategically placed elements prevent your fingertips from coming in contact with the blades. Nearly half a million people are injured by kitchen knives each year. Avoid this common injury by investing in safer products.
Durable materials, such as enamel-coated die-cast aluminum, stainless steel, and chrome, are destined to last longer. Of course, plastic, rubber, and wooden handles tend to be more comfortable and forgiving. Look for products with limited lifetime warranties. Choose products that balance professional-grade kitchen materials with human-friendly designs.
Best Apple Peelers FAQ
Are old-fashioned apple peelers worth the investment?Many home cooks assume that old-fashioned apple peelers offer nothing but retro aesthetics. These machines peel, core, and speedily spiralize apples. Their numerous safety elements make them a greater learning tool for children. If you want to prep apples for pies or other baked goods, a few kitchen accessories compare.
What if I do not want to remove all of the peel?Some apple peelers allow you to adjust the position of the blades. This enables you to remove gouges of the skin up to a specific depth. Of course, a handheld peeler or paring knife will work better for jobs that entail removing blemishes.
What if I only plan on peeling a few apples at a time?If you are only peeling a few apples at a time, you don't want to get involved with any heavy machinery. A handheld vegetable peeler with a free-moving blade should get the job done. Of course, a standard Johnny peeler is easy to remove from the pantry. Most of these tools can be cleaned with a little soap and water. Some of them can even be placed in the dishwasher.
We hope you enjoyed our review of the top apple peelers. What are you waiting for? These simple, inexpensive contraptions will help you pull off phenomenal and headache-free apple recipes.
If you’re looking for a reliable, versatile peeler, check out the OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler. In my humble opinion, the OXO’s ergonomic handle and free-moving double blades make it the best apple peeler on the market. Of course, if you’re looking for a more economical option, the VKP Brands Johnny Apple Peeler is also a great pick. This retro kitchen tool is designed to last a lifetime. Let us know what apple peeler you picked!