Nothing is as relaxing as a day out at sea. However, you will eventually get hungry and need a way to prepare a delicious meal. We analyzed numerous options to come up with a list of the best boat grills.
These grills have everything that you need to safely prepare a wide array of foods so that you can make the ultimate spread for yourself and your guests.
Between the detailed reviews and the additional information provided, you will be able to narrow down your choices so that once you pick a grill, you can be confident it is the best.
Tips on Choosing the Best Boat Grills
When it comes to finding the best boat BBQ grill, there are two things that you need to do. The first is to learn how to pick a grill by using the right tips. Secondly, read detailed boat BBQ reviews so that you can see what real people have to say about the grills that are on the market.
Pick the Right Materials
Water and sea air can cause certain metals to rust a lot faster. Because of this, you want to ensure that the grill that you choose is not vulnerable.
Pick one that has stainless steel elements, especially the housing, and the burners. This will help to keep the components in good condition even when you use the grill frequently.
Choose the Right Fuel Type
When you are on a boat, there are fewer obstacles keeping the breeze at bay. Because of this, charcoal grills can work, but it can sometimes be more difficult to keep them lit, especially on very windy days.
If you are planning on using the grill a lot in various wind conditions, it is best to pick a grill that is fueled by gas. These tend to stay lit better even when there is a lot of wind happening when you are using it.
Push Button Ignition
This type of ignition can make it a lot easier to start your grill and get it fired up. You will not have to try and keep a match lit when it is windy on your boat.
With this type of ignition, just push the button and the burner will light up and start heating the grill.
Consider the Best Form Factor
This refers to the shape of the grill. For the most part, this is up to you and will depend on your personal preference. The primary choices include rectangular and round.
With a rectangular one, it can be easier to space food out when you are cooking it. These also tend to be larger. However, round grills might be easier to place, especially when you are on a smaller boat.
Boat Grills FAQ
How Do You Pick the Right BTUs?Think about the fuel that you plan to use and how much power you want the grill to operate. Since boat grills tend to be relatively small, 5,500 BTUs are generally sufficient. This will ensure that your grill gives you enough power to get your food cooked quickly without any hot and cold spots. This is also compatible with most of the propane tanks that will fit on grills that are the right size for boats.
Should You Choose an Infrared Barbecue?These types of barbecues are relatively new to the marine world. This type uses radiant heat waves. It has either stainless steel or ceramic plates that will transfer the heat from the grill to your food. These are more modern, and they definitely get the job done. However, if you are just making basic foods, sticking with a propane grill on your boat is likely the best option.
Is a Push Button Ignition Necessary?On a boat, this can make a big difference and save you a lot of time. If you have to light your grill manually, this can be hard to do on a boat since there is little that blocks the wind. With this type of ignition, you will not need to light, and use matches to get your grill going.
Must You Mount Your Grill to Your Boat?This can increase safety when you are using it because when the water is rough, you will not have to worry about your grill sliding around. However, you can choose to not mount your grill if you want it to remain portable and something that you can move around your boat whenever you need to.
Best Boat Grills:
1. Cuisinart CGG180 CGG-180 Petit Gourmet Gas GrillView at Amazon
The Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Grill is small and compact. Because of this, you can use it on boats of all sizes. Choose to use the legs so you do not even need to find a table to set it on.
It has strong BTUs for its size so it is able to cook foods as efficiently as possible. Even if you are preparing thicker cuts of meat, they will cook relatively fast.
Since the lid locks, you can move the grill around safely. The grate is porcelain-enameled for optimal heat retention.
Many consumers said that this is the best gas grill for a pontoon boat because it is so compact. You can also set it on the ground or on a table.
Other people remarked on its ability to cook a lot at once. You can fit about four chicken breasts at a time, allowing you to prepare a meal for several people quickly.
- 160-square inches
- It operates at 5,500 BTUs for optimal power
- 3-year limited warranty
- It is ideal for smaller spaces
- You can cook up to eight burgers
- The lid latches
- It might melt at high temperatures
2. Giantex Propane TableTop Gas Grill Stainless Steel Two-Burner BBQView at Amazon
The CGiantex Propane Tabletop Gas Grill Stainless Steel Two-Burner BBQ is easily portable, making it a good choice for a boat-based barbecue. Since you can use propane tanks in several sizes, you get to choose how long you want to cook before needing to replace the tank.
With 180 square inches of cooking surface, it is easy to prepare meals for several people at a time. Due to its high BTU output, you will notice that meats of various sizes will cook fast for optimal efficiency.
Multiple people said that this is the best portable gas grill for a boat because it is easy to use. As soon as you have it ready, you can learn the functions within minutes.
Other people talked about how it requires little maintenance. This helps to ensure that you always have it ready for use.
- It functions at 20,000 BTUs for plenty of power
- You can connect propane tanks of various sizes for flexibility
- You can move it around easily
- It cooks up to six burgers at a time
- The BTUs are high for their size
- The smoker plate may crack prematurely
3. Kuuma Stow and Go Propane Tabletop and Mountable GrillView at Amazon
The Kuuma Mountable Gas Grill is easy to use and keep clean. There is a grease tray that you can remove so that you just dump the grease, rinse it out and put it back into the proper slot.
You will not have to assemble this grill so you can start using it right away. It is possible to use this with a mounting kit so that you can easily attach it to the side of your boat with ease.
This grill is made of stainless steel. This ensures that it will not start to rust prematurely due to water and sea air.
Several consumers like this stainless steel boat grill because it will not rust. This makes it ideal for taking it out on the water.
Many other people talked about its size of it. They said that you can place it anywhere, making it a good choice for a smaller boat.
- It has 13,000 BTUs of strong cooking power
- You can mount it for enhanced safety on your boat
- Removable grease tray for easy cleaning
- No assembly required
- It heats up fast
- Wind rarely blows out the flame
- You can use it for large meals
- The legs may be slightly uneven
4. Flame King RV Or Trailer Mounted BBQView at Amazon
The Flame King Mounted BBQ can be mounted on the side of your boat so that it does not move around when you are using it. It has retainer pins so that you can be confident that rough waters will not cause it to shift when you are cooking.
You can connect this to an LP gas system so that you can use the grill for a long time without needing to worry about refueling.
It has a relatively large grate so that you can prepare several different foods at the same time. The handle on the lid remains cool so that it is safe and easy to operate the lid when you are using the grill.
You are able to adjust the flame. Because of this, you can be confident that your foods are always cooking at the right temperature.
When it comes to the best marine grills for a boat, this is one of them, according to consumers. They said this because the components are durable and will last.
Other people talked about how efficiently it cooks. You will not have to wait a long time for your food to get finished.
- It has 214 square inches of cooking space to prepare larger meals
- You can use it mounted or free for flexibility
- You can connect the fuel source quickly
- It is easy to move around
- Mounting it does not take long
- It would benefit from a larger warming rack
5. Magma Marine Kettle Stainless Gas GrillView at Amazon
The Magma Marine Kettle Grill has a very shiny surface, making it stylish and a good addition to any boat. This material is stainless steel so you do not have to worry about premature rusting and other structural problems.
The handle stays cool when you are using the grill so that you can close and open the lid safely. You also do not have to worry about the lid slamming due to the design of the grill.
Use the lid to shield the grill against the wind when you are cooking. This helps to further reduce the flame going out due to wind.
Multiple people said that this gas grill for a boat heats up fast. You will not be waiting long to start the cooking process.
Other people said that it is easy to use. The controls are simple, and you will not have to spend a lot of time performing maintenance.
- It uses convection and radiant heating for optimal efficiency
- The stainless steel is easy to clean and resists rust
- The flame stays lit
- Cleaning it is easy
- Due to its size, you can place it almost anywhere
- It takes a little longer to heat up compared to similar grills
6. Dickinson Marine Stainless Steel Sea-B-Que GrillView at Amazon
The Dickinson Marine Stainless Steel Grill has an octagonal design. This shape makes it very easy to fit foods of different sizes and shapes onto the grate. With this shape, you will also not have to worry about your foods cooking unevenly so that everything comes out exactly as you want it to.
This grill is made from stainless steel so you will not have to worry about it breaking down prematurely. There are legs that help to make it a freestanding grill if this is what you prefer. With its roll-away hood, it is easy and safe to use.
You will be able to clean this grill quickly when you are done using it. This is thanks to the drip tray that is easy to slide out of and into place when you need to empty it.
This marine-grade portable BBQ is a good choice for any boat due to its size. It is easy to find a place to put it, according to those who use it.
There are others who talked about how easy it is to keep clean. You only need a few minutes after it cools to tackle this.
- The hood rolls away for optimal convenience
- This grill is made from stainless steel, so it will be resistant to rust
- The design makes it easy to use
- You can clean this grill quickly
- It comes with legs
- It may take slightly longer to cook larger cuts of meat compared to similar grills
7. Magma Conniosseur Series Stainless Steel GrillView at Amazon
The Magma Products Stainless Steel Grill features legs that are oversized and they also fold away. Because of this, you can easily transport this grill to your boat if you do not want to leave it on board.
The radiant plate snaps out so that you can clean this grill with ease. When in place, it ensures that you are getting a constant and even distribution of heat so that all of your foods cook evenly.
The stainless steel body has a mirror finish to it. This makes this grill stylish and it also ensures that it is protected against the elements so that you do not have to worry about rust.
While exploring marine barbecue grill reviews, this one often came out on top. People said that it is very easy to use and maintain.
Other people said that it always cooks food evenly. Because of this, you never have to worry about cold and hot spots in your food.
- The legs fold away to make this grill easy to store
- Heat distribution is even due to the snap-out radiant plate
- It is very compact
- The features are easy to use
- You can mount this grill quickly
- The hardware could be of higher quality
8. Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow Tabletop Propane GrillView at Amazon
The Masterbuilt Tabletop Propane Grill has 205 square inches of cooking surface, allowing you to prepare a nice meal for multiple people. Since there is an additional rack, you can keep foods warm while you are waiting to serve them.
This is a compact grill that will fit onto any tabletop. Its U-shaped burner ensures that the total cooking surface is the same temperature so that all of your foods cook quickly and evenly.
The legs do fold. This ensures that it is easy to move this grill around when you are done using it. Because of this feature, this grill is also portable.
You will get a lot of power from this grill. You will not have to worry about your food taking a long time to cook. This ensures that you can prepare different foods simultaneously so that you and your guests never have to wait long to eat.
According to consumers, this is one of the best portable grills for boats. It can fit a lot of food, but it is still easy to place almost anywhere.
Other people said that it is easy to use. There are not a lot of controls, so you will adjust fast when it comes to using it properly.
- The legs fold up to make this grill portable
- It puts out 10,000 BTUs for optimal power
- The materials are durable
- It is easy to ignite this grill
- You can place it on almost any tabletop due to its compact size
- The flame may sometimes get too low
9. Coleman Camp Propane GrillView at Amazon
The Coleman Camp Propane Grill is versatile and provides plenty of cooking space to prepare food for several people at the same time. With a high BTU output for its size, you always get the level of cooking power that you need.
Due to the technology that this grill uses, you will save on gas while maintaining efficiency when you are using it. There are panels that help to block the wind so that your flame does not go out when you are cooking. Even in more extreme conditions this grill will perform well and remain efficient.
Many consumers were impressed with the ease of use of this grill. They felt that it was practical, but also very flexible.
It fits a lot of food at once, according to consumers. Because of this, you can prepare larger meals efficiently.
- Prepare full meals due to the 180 square inches of cooking surface
- Always have optimal power since it has 11,000 BTUs
- One propane cylinder gives you about two hours of cooking time on high
- It is easy to use
- Cleaning this grill only takes a few minutes
- The burner may fire unevenly with extended use
10. Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Portable Propane GrillView at Amazon
The Char-Broil Portable Propane Grill is easy to carry around with you. It has handles on the side that let you move it around with ease. Take advantage of the legs so that you can easily set it on any tabletop.
The frame is high impact so you can be confident that this grill will be durable. Its cooking system helps to ensure that the fire will not flare up when you are cooking, ensuring an even and consistent temperature.
The firebox is made from aluminum for optimal durability. There are stainless steel latches on the front so that the lid stays closed when you are moving it.
Use the temperature gauge so that you always know what heat level you are cooking at.
This portable boat grill can easily be stored and used on any boat. According to consumers, this is due to its convenient size.
Other people mentioned how well it cooks food. Even if you are new to grilling, you will find this grill simple and efficient.
- 200 square inches of cooking space let you cook for four or more people
- The TRU-infrared system prevents flareups
- You can use propane tanks of different sizes
- The cooking area is large for such a compact grill
- There is a temperature gauge
- The regulator may fail prematurely
With all of the information that you have read here, it is time to make your decision. One of the best BBQ grills for boats is the Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Grill. It uses gas so that you do not have to worry about the sea winds making it difficult to light charcoal.
The legs fold away so that you never have issues finding space to store them when you are not using them. Its single burner operates at 5,500 BTUs, giving you plenty of power to prepare an array of foods, including thick cuts of meat.
This grill only weighs about 13 pounds, allowing you to move it around without any issues. The lid does lock so that it does not come open when you are moving it around.
The grate will retain heat well. Because of this, none of your foods will come out with hot and cold spots.
Best Pontoon Boat Grills
Pontoon boats are an affordable and popular way to bring family and friends together for an outing on the water. And, when everyone gets together, what’s one of the first things these familial gatherings turn to?
Why, the grill, of course. Being on the water doesn’t reduce the taste of grilled steak, chicken, and, yes, fish. If you’re going to grill on a pontoon boat, you want a safe product. You don’t have the options you have in your backyard, local park, or beach.
A grill that won’t stay lit while a boat’s moving is annoying. You don’t want it falling overboard. We don’t need rusting from exposure to water. To ensure you get the enjoyment you deserve, review this list of the six best gas grills for pontoon boats.
1. Cuisinart Grill Pontoon BoatView at Amazon
The Cuisinart Grill is manufactured from stainless steel. It’s retrofitted specifically for pontoon boats with the Arnall stainless grill bracket. The product has an easy carry handle and weighs a mere 18 pounds. It’s an ideal small portable gas grill with a solid propane tank mount and a large cooking area.
Customers have lauded the grill for being the perfect size for their pontoon boat. Others have suggested purchasing the mounting hardware designed specifically for pontoons.
Some customers wish the legs locked in place. When carrying the grill, the legs flop around.
- This small portable gas grill has a 145 square-inch cooking surface.
- It’s designed for a standard railing. The standard rail is a square and smooth finish with open fencing.
- The Cuisinart Grill is easy to stow and available in three colors.
- With modified feet, this grill is an excellent on- and offshore option
- Comes with a drip tray and stainless steel burner
- Locking lid
- 145 sq in surface; can cook 8 burgers or steaks, 6–10 chicken breasts, or 4 lbs of fish
- 5,500 BTUs and even a heated grate
- Despite the product description, has been known to the scratch railing
2. Magma Marine Kettle Gas GrillView at Amazon
Engineered from 100% mirror-polished stainless steel, the Magma Marine Kettle Gas Grill is the best marine grill. It has adjustable control valves for inboard, outboard, and left or right functions. Using an effective radiated plate with convection technology, you’ll have hot and even temps. Yet, you’ll always use minimum fuel.
Fans of the grill especially like the hinged lid which improves the grill’s function over previous versions. In fact, buyers say the models are only getting better. They also talk about how they stick with the Magma brand because the grills have a great lifespan.
Other customers do not think this new model doesn’t get hot enough. Others had difficulty getting the grill lit.
- Turbo venturi tubing and a refreshed burner minimize blowouts.
- The lids are hinged and eliminate slamming.
- To cut down on wind, you can rotate the bowl and lid.
- The manufacturer offers a large inventory of accessories and mounting options for this best marine grill.
- Side-mounted handle means no hot pads or burning fingers
- Designed from 18-9 100% polished stainless steel
- Economy without sacrificing functionality
- Uses standard, disposable propane canisters
- Adapts to CNG and LPG systems
- Requires complete grill mounting hardware
- Mount sold separately
3. Kuuma Stow and Go Propane GrillView at Amazon
For the best tabletop grill that can still be mounted on a pontoon boat, take a look at Kumma’s Stow and Go Propane Grill. You can mount or take it camping or on picnics. This one’s design is perfect for high-pressure propane. The removable grease tray makes for easy cleaning.
Cooks are happy with the grill’s space, allowing preparation for burgers, hot dogs, and chicken in fast swoops. Many appreciate the optional extension hose that prevents hanging your propane out of the boat. They also find it easy to clean.
Among dissatisfied customers are buyers who find the device gets hot and the lids and handle get heated. Others were unaware the grill only works with Colman green bottles.
- The best tabletop grill includes a design for standard disposable fuel bottles.
- With fixed-mount applications, it also utilizes larger refill tanks.
- The grill is easily mounted with a single steel arm.
- No assembly required
- Has foldable legs for easier transport
- Can be used offshore and onshore with ease
- Manufactured from 300 series marine grade stainless steel
- The mounting arm bracket is sold separately
- The flame blows out more than it should
4. Magma TrailMate Gas GrillView at Amazon
Magma produces a series of connoisseur gas grills. They’re propane ready and developed from stainless steel. The TrailMate has foldaway legs and is ready for all types of activities onboard and onshore. It’s manufactured to the same standards as Magma’s expensive, larger grills but priced affordably for the boater.
People are happy with the grill’s versatility. It’s ideal for both your pontoon and a campground. It heats fast and cleans easily. Disassembly, cleanup, and storage are highly rated as seamless processes.
While not necessarily unhappy with the device’s performance, customers have found stains and spots on their new grills. Others have received defective hardware. The mount has failed after a few uses.
- This pontoon-ready grill is tested for wind resistance and even heat distribution.
- It uses a standard, one-pound disposable propane canister.
- It adapts to LPG onboard and natural gas systems.
- There’s a valve that swivels for safe and quick gas bottle exchange.
- Snap-out radiant plate makes for even heat distribution and convenient cleanup
- The inner safety shell delivers grease to the front access
- Quick, safe exchange of gas bottles
- 108 sq in grilling area
- Regulators are reported to be faculty
- Many of the vendor’s products are shipped missing components
5. Camco Elite Premium Stainless Steel Mountable Gas GrillView at Amazon
The Camco Elite Premium Stainless Steel Mountable Gas Grill is an ideal stow-and-go solution. Its portability makes it perfect for your pontoon. It comes with a regulator and makes a great choice for backyard grilling, tailgating, and more. At a manageable 14.5 pounds, it still manages to hold an impressive 216 square inches of cooking surface.
Customers who believe the out-the-box advertisement is an exaggeration were happy to discover that Stow N’ Go kept its promise. They found it sturdy, compact and easily transported. They like the mounting versatility, letting them set up the grill to their preference.
Consumers have had issues with the regulator, having to turn the adjustment screw to set it properly. There have also been some complaints that the cooking surface is smaller than advertised.
- The Camco Elite Grill is low-pressure.
- The device accepts one-pound disposable cylinders with the capacity to upgrade to 30-pound tanks.
- The grill takes any of the manufacturer’s mounts.
- Ready to go out of the box with full assembly
- Easily mounted to any Kuuma rail, pedestal, or rod
- Tabletop use, grease tray, latching lid, and cooled handle
- The regulator can be shipped with the wrong settings and may need manual adjustment
- Grill gets hot
6. Springfield Marine Deluxe Barbeque GrillView at Amazon
The Springfield Marine Deluxe Barbeque Grill promises 12,000 BTUs. It ships with a mounting post and easily converts to a tabletop cooker. You’ll be able to feed a nice group with the device’s 189 square inches of cooking surface. The lid’s 130 square inches of cook surface serves as a griddle.
Customers find it’s very effective in keeping the wind from interfering with their cooks. In a lot of cases, the new purchase was an upgrade from a previous version of the Marine Deluxe.
Some have found issues with the flame going out but some saw it easily fixed by ensuring the cover was fully closed for venting.
- The Springfield Marine Deluxe Barbeque Grill is part of the manufacturer’s Deluxe Series.
- This product comes with a 29-inch thread-lock post.
- Legs fold under and become carrying handles for easy transportation or storage.
- It’s made of a silver metallic base and comes with a grill mount.
- Has both 189 sq in grill surface and 130 sq in griddle surface
- The removable pedestal makes for easy transport and uses in multiple venues
- Parts can be missed in shipping, including glass hook up
- Regulators can be faulty
We like the Kuuma Stow and Go Propane Tabletop and Mountable Grill. It’s rugged and clean with a stainless steel finish. Its foldable legs make it great for adventuring not just on the water, but for camping, boating, picnics, backyard barbeques, and just about any fun outdoor activity. It requires no assembly, meaning you can get right to cooking.
We suggest you use these top grades as a starting point for choosing the best pontoon grill. Features, designs, and benefits are not created equal. Whatever your final choice, we know you’ll have the solution that complements a relaxing day out on the water.