Table of Contents Hide
- Best Gas Smokers:
- 1. Cuisinart COS-244 Propane Smoker
- 2. Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24″ Small Gas Smoker
- 3. Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker
- 4. Dyna-Glo DGY784BDP 36″ Vertical LP Gas Smoker
- 5. Dyna-Glo DGW1904BDP-D 43-Inch Wide Body LP Gas Smoker
- 6. Char-Broil Vertical Liquid Propane Gas Smoker
- 7. Masterbuilt MPS 230S Propane Smoker, 30″ , Black
- 8. Masterbuilt 20050614, 44-Inch, Black Propane Smoker
- 9. Landmann USA 3895GWLA Smoky Mountain Vertical Gas Smoker
- 10. Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill
- 11. Smoke Hollow 38202G Propane Gas Smoker by Masterbuilt
- 12. Smoke Hollow 30164G 30-Inch Propane Gas Smoker
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Gas Smokers
- Gas Smokers Compared to Other Types
- Things To Consider When Purchasing A Gas Smoker
- Gas Smoker Brands
- How to Season a New Smoker
- Making The Decision
You have heard how flexible and easy-to-use gas smokers are. Likely you went online and you’ve noticed that there are many different models to choose from. But the question is, what is the best gas smoker? You may not have time to test different gas smokers or read gas smoker reviews.
Don’t worry. That’s what we are here for. This guide is designed to help you find the best gas smoker for your needs and for your budget. When you finish reading this guide, you will be confident in your ability to get a smoker that will meet your needs.
Best Gas Smokers:
1. Cuisinart COS-244 Propane SmokerView at Amazon
The Cuisinart COS-244 Propane Smoker is one of the best propane gas smokers because It offers four shelves for plenty of cooking space. You can easily access the smoker due to this unit having two doors.
You can attach this smoker to any standard propane tank so that you can start using it fast. It has a 40-inch hose so hookup is easy.
You have full control over the smoke level and the temperature. You can adjust the gas supply so that you can be sure that you are giving your foods the right level of heat. There is a thermometer on the door so that you can quickly monitor the temperature.
The handle is easy to operate. Once you close the door properly, the inner chamber remains rightly sealed for optimal smoking.
Even when it is operating at the highest temperature, the outside of the smoker remains cool to the touch. This ensures safety when pets and children are around. The door seals tightly once you close it. The smoke remains inside and does not escape from around the door.
The thermometer on the door makes temperature monitoring a breeze. This unit appears to maintain its temperature well so that you do not experience any uneven cooking.
This is one of the best vertical gas smoker options. The four shelves provide plenty of cooking space. The wood and water tray are porcelain enameled for easy cleaning and durability.
- You do not have to constantly check the temperature and fire when you are cooking
- The build is durable
- The assembly instructions are concise and clear
- Some smoke may escape through the door hinges
2. Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24″ Small Gas SmokerView at Amazon
The Camp Chef Smoke Vault is the best small gas smoker because it has a wide temperature range. There is a thermometer on the door that is easy to read so that you always know the exact cooking temperature.
You can cook meats slow and low so that the flavor locks into the food. You can use it to bake pies or to slow-cook a whole chicken.
There are two cooking racks and you can adjust them to accommodate your food. The water pan and wood chip tray are easy to operate and maintain.
The base tray is made of porcelain. You can remove it for easy cleaning. On each side of the smoker, and on the top, there are adjustable damper valves. For maximum heat control, this smoker has a protected burner drum.
This smoker has a strong construction. You can leave it outside without it getting damaged by the elements. It heats up fast and holds the designated temperature well. This allows you to enjoy consistent cooking with a variety of meats and other foods.
Once you are done using the smoker, it is easy to clean. Some of the parts are removable. The other elements only need to be wiped down in between uses.
This smoker is ideal for beginners who are new to smoking. It takes up limited space and the features are simple to use. The materials are strong, so your smoker will not experience damage easily.
- It is easy to assemble
- This smoker can accommodate multiple types of meat at the same time
- The thermometer is easy to read
- The door thermometer may vary by about 30 degrees Fahrenheit
3. Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane SmokerView at Amazon
If you had to pick one smoker out of all the ones we have reviewed to add to your cooking appliances, I would recommend this one.
This is a superb device even for a first-time smoker. Masterbuilt has garnered a reputation for designing great products, and many will choose products made by this company simply because of the brand name.
But what makes the device so amazing is that it is challenging enough to be enjoyed by experienced smokers. Whether you purchase the 30-inch unit or the 40-inch unit, you are getting a solid device that is going to provide you and your guest’s amazing flavorful food experiences.
This is a beautifully crafted device that provides you with the slow-cooked smoky flavor you expect from an outdoor cookout.
While the device comes equipped with an electronic push-button igniter and more than 700 in.² of cooking space, it does not stray far from the southern-style smoking flavor you love.
The temperature gauge gives you an approximate temperature and the cold-to-touch wire handles allow you to open the doors when necessary without burning your hands.
Also, having two doors on the unit is very helpful. Air dampers give you complete control over the amount of smoke you have in your unit, leaving you with awesome-tasting food.
It’s a great smoker. This is well worth the money. If you’re looking at smoking meat in your backyard on a regular basis, whether you are a veteran or a beginner, this is a handy tool to own.
It automatically makes you a semi-pro smoker. With the Masterbuilt 20051311, you are going to get tender chicken, ribs, fish, and pork chops.
You are going to have that unmistakable Southern barbecue taste that not all gas smokers offer. Pound for pound, it is the best propane smoker you can buy.
- The unit is affordable to purchase and maintain. It does not use a lot of propane.
- The smoker provides a more authentic strong smoke flavor than you get from other electric smokers.
- This unit is consistent. Your meats will always turn out well.
- The right size for small family get-togethers or a decent size barbecue.
- First, it needs wheels, or at least the ability to be put on casters.
- Second, the door thermometer is slightly inaccurate.
4. Dyna-Glo DGY784BDP 36″ Vertical LP Gas SmokerView at Amazon
The Dyna-Glo Vertical Smoker is the best vertical gas smoker we are going to review today in its price range. Produces a quality end product, but it’s cheap enough that someone who is just looking to cook for their family will want to invest in it.
It leaves you with an end product that tastes good, is moist, smells great, and that you can be proud to offer to your guests. It does require some initial assembly, but that’s relatively simple.
This unit is perfect for giving your meats the bold smoky flavor you want. With 784 in.² of cooking surface, there is enough room to add just about any meat you want.
It has a one-push ignition that makes lighting the unit a snap of your fingers. The sliding dampers and multiple doors help you to quickly adjust the temperature if need be.
Thanks to its dual design, you can add water and wood chips without affecting the temperature of your food. The 15,000 BTU of the total heat output of the unit means that it is hot enough to cook any type of meat and to maintain its temperature even if it is used outdoors during the winter.
There are a ton of different recipes you can try with a smoker. If you are a vegan or don’t want to smoke meat – check out this roasted beets with goat cheese recipe.
This is not a professional-level smoker. However, it allows a beginner and even an experienced smoker the ability to produce quality food that has a unique and powerful flavor. It’s easy to use and produces a consistent product time after time.
- Holds Temperature. This is the most important thing for a smoker. This unit keeps a consistent temperature throughout the cooking time. This adds to the excellent end results it produces.
- Easy to Assemble. As I mentioned, you need to do a little assembly but is not a lot. It takes about an hour, and you’re ready to season the smoker.
- Spacious. This unit is big enough to allow you to accommodate multiple dishes at the same time. The racks are easy to move around, so it makes the unit versatile.
- The temperature gauge is not always accurate. You are going to need to use a digital thermometer to make sure you are cooking at the right temperature.
5. Dyna-Glo DGW1904BDP-D 43-Inch Wide Body LP Gas SmokerView at Amazon
Providing 20,000 BTUs of cooking performance, this is the unit to beat. It is extremely reliable and is able to maintain its temperature even in very cold weather.
A unique feature of this unit is that it has heat seals that allow it to maintain its smoke and improve its cooking efficiency.
This is a very large unit. It has more than 1900 in.² of cooking space. Has six grates that can be adjusted to accommodate whatever type of food your heart desires. It even has a removable rib rack, adding more flexibility to your cooking.
Although this is not a competition-style cooker, it produces food that is on par with what restaurants and professionals make.
There are many examples of individuals who have used this item at competitions and have come out ahead of others with competition-style grills.
You don’t need expensive equipment to make a great barbecue, but what you need is what this unit has and that is something that will get smoke into the meat and hold the temperature where you want it.
This is an awesome unit. It is going to produce delicious food every time. It’s durable, keeps an even temperature, and is everything you want from a gas smoker.
- Versatile thanks to six-height adjustable cooking grills.
- Pre-installed high temp rope seals retain heat and smoke.
- Porcelain enamel Stillwater bowl and wood chip holder.
- Temperature gauge that indicates the ideal temperature for infusing smoke.
- It can be difficult to control the heat. Many people complain that the unit just gets too hot even at the lowest setting and with both vents open.
6. Char-Broil Vertical Liquid Propane Gas SmokerView at Amazon
This is one of the top-rated gas smokers for newbies. It has two things that new smokers are going to love: it is expensive, and it is easy to use. Right away, it’s noticeable how large of a cooking space this unit has. It’s more than enough to cook for your entire family as well as a number of invited guests.
The three smoking racks allow you to optimize the space you’re using inside the smoking chamber. There is also a warming rack, so you can keep your food warm without cooking it. Food comes out great on this unit.
The Char-Broil vertical propane smoker has a large chamber and versatile rack locations. Its unique double-drawer design is perfect for allowing you to cook your food at a steady temperature all at the same time adjusting things like water and wood chips.
For the price, this is a decent smoker. It keeps a decent seal and is not drastically affected by fluctuations in outside temperature. I really do not like the wood chip and water tray situation. It just makes things unnecessarily frustrating. But besides that, all in all, it’s a decent product.
- Size Versus Weight. This is a decent size unit, giving you 578 in.² of cooking space. But it only weighs 25 pounds, so you can move it whenever you need to.
- High-quality parts. The water pan and the ash pan are made of porcelain. This increases the durability of the unit as well as makes it more attractive.
- The ability to add wood chips and water without opening the chamber.
- One thing I would like to see in the next models of this unit is a separate container for wood chips and for water. It just makes things a lot easier that way.
7. Masterbuilt MPS 230S Propane Smoker, 30″ , BlackView at Amazon
This is the perfect unit for someone who needs to get a lot of smoking done. Measuring 22.8 x 28.7 x 53 inches, it gives you enough to feed an entire crowd.
A unique feature of the smoker is its doors. It has a 44-inch cabinet door that makes it easy for you to put meat in and take it out. It also has a second door that allows you to adjust any internal pans without losing any smoke or heat.
Its dual burner design gives you complete control of the temperature inside the chamber. Its solid steel construction means that you never have to worry about the smoker warping or losing heat.
The Masterbuilt is a versatile gas smoker. It is designed to be flexible and functional. It works because the designers understand the needs of the end-user, so they made it with sufficient cabinet space and the ability to access different parts of the unit without interfering with the overall cooking.
At 100 pounds, this unit definitely is not portable. However, because of its thick steel construction, it can stand up to the fluctuations of outdoor temperatures. The double burner system is a plus, giving you ultimate control over the cabin temperature.
- 44 Inch Double Door System
- Very Large Cooking Area
- Adjustable Floor Clamps
- An Easily Accessible Porcelain Coated Wood Chip Pan
- The biggest complaint I have with this unit is that it doesn’t come assembled. It’s not very hard to assemble it, but it does take about an hour of your time.
8. Masterbuilt 20050614, 44-Inch, Black Propane SmokerView at Amazon
Masterbuilt is a name that you see repeatedly in our gas smoker reviews because they make a good product. The Masterbuilt 20050614 Propane Smoker, 44-Inch is nothing short of a workhorse. You have all the room you need to smoke whatever food you want.
The removable water camp lets you add moisture to the meat, and the simple-to-read thermostat on the door makes monitoring the temperature of your smoker easy.
The viewing window allows you to watch your food as it cooks to make sure that it is cooking evenly and has a nice appearance. The push-button ignition makes smoking your food simple.
This is a decent-quality unit. Out of the box, you may have some problems with temperature fluctuations as well as leaking smoke.
However, with a few alterations and the addition of an external thermostat, you can keep the heat relatively steady. It has an awful lot of space, allowing you to smoke however much meat you want to.
Do not be surprised if your neighbors come over wanting to throw some of their meat in your smoker. Once you do some maintenance tweaks, you can actually end up with a good-quality piece of meat.
This is a functional device. The quality of it seems a little hit-and-miss, depending on who you talk to. Some people get a product that works right out of the box, and others have had to do a few tweaks to get the product to work as advertised.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive way to get started with smoking, then this might be the right smoker for you.
- Large Capacity. With four chrome-coated smoking racks, you have the ability to smoke more than 100 pounds of food.
- Door design. The dual-door design allows you to adjust your wood chips and water without affecting the temperature inside the cooking chamber.
- Push Button Ignition.
- Porcelain Coated Wood Chip Tray and Water Pan.
- Poor Seal. Metal on metal will never seal properly.
- Poor Temperature Gauge
- Needs an External Digital Thermometer
9. Landmann USA 3895GWLA Smoky Mountain Vertical Gas SmokerView at Amazon
The Landmann Smoky Mountain Vertical Gas Smoker is huge. It has one of the best smoker boxes for a gas grill. Many people have used this unit for multiple years and comment on its durability.
This is the perfect unit for someone who enjoys entertaining or who just wants to make a lot of smoked meat. It is a little bit on the more expensive side.
However, when you use this unit and you taste the end product it creates, you will agree that it is well worth the price. The most powerful thing about this unit is just how versatile it is.
The simple fact that it has over 1500 in.² of cooking area means that you can play around with it and cook multiple dishes at the same time. The uniquely designed duo door system for the wood chips and the water pan is ingenious.
Five adjustable chrome-plated cooking grates and meat hangers mean that you can mix and match the meat you smoke and where you put it. The 10-year warranty guarantees that you do not need to worry about this product rusting.
This is a really good heavy-duty appliance. You pay a little bit more for it than you would a smaller smoker, but if you’re looking to make a lot of meat, then this is well worth the price.
- It is very large. It features 1576 in.² of cooking space.
- Accessible Drawers. The drawers allow you to add both wood chips and water without opening the main chamber.
- Solid Construction. Overall, the unit is solidly built. Temperature control features including the vents and chimney allow you to control the inside temperature with precision.
- While the entire unit is solidly constructed, the magnetic closures for the doors are flimsy. Many have complained that after a few months of use, they fall apart.
10. Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & GrillView at Amazon
Many believe that the Char-Broil Big Easy TRU Infrared Smoker deserves the title of best gas grill smoker combo. To be fair, it is designed to do just about anything.
One cool feature is that it has an internal smoker box where you put your wood chips or pellets. You don’t need air dampers. It’s flexible, allowing you to adjust the heat from 9000 BTUs all the way to 18,000 BTUs.
This device is a good successor to its predecessor the Big Easy. It adds more functionality and doesn’t require charcoal or oil.
Since it uses radiant heat, the food that is produced is moist and does not dry out. The smoker box can use pellets or woodchips. And you do not need an air damper or a water pan. It is versatile enough to cook a 25-pound turkey and has a cooking area of 180 in.².
This is a versatile unit allowing you to grill, smoke, and cook. While it does some things well, it’s not going to provide you with the most powerful smoke meat flavor.
Sometimes when you get a smoker, it’s better to get one that just focuses on the job. This unit just tries to do too much.
- Convenient. You don’t worry about flare-ups, you don’t need charcoal, and you don’t need a spit rod. It’s just easy to use.
- Versatile. This is about as versatile as it gets. It can smoke your food, cook your food on the grill, or use infrared heat.
- For such a small unit, it can hold up to 25 pounds of food.
- Looks pretty, but it’s not solidly built. It looks like stainless steel, but after a few months of use, you start to see the rust wear through.
- Difficult to maintain. Since the unit is made out of cast iron, after you clean it with soap, you need to go through and add oil to prevent rust.
- Price: It’s a little expensive when you compare the price to the quality of the product.
11. Smoke Hollow 38202G Propane Gas Smoker by MasterbuiltView at Amazon
Smoke Hollow put a lot of thought and effort into their 38202G model. It has a clean, attractive appearance. Of course, the way it looks on the outside doesn’t matter much, but what makes this unit impressive is its performance.
This unit is priced competitively when compared to other units of a similar style. However, when you put it side-by-side with its competitors, it provides consistent results that surpass the competition.
This unit is best for individuals who like to cook for a lot of people. If you want something that can hold its temperature and give you a mouthwatering product every single time, this is it.
This is the smoker with the second-largest capacity produced by Smoke Hollow. It has a genius two-door system that allows you to maintain the moisture and smoke of your food, without affecting the temperature of your meat.
The cast brass gas control system makes it easy for you to adjust the temperature range of your smoker.
Like all of the products produced by Smoke Hollow, this product will not let you down. It is relatively easy to use and produces a consistent product every time.
If you are worried about the price, it might be a little bit more expensive than you want to pay. But if you’re willing to spring for it, you will get a high-quality product.
- Keeps an Even Temperature. This is something that’s pretty universal about Smoke Hollow gas smokers. It will maintain its internal temperature even when it is cold and windy outside.
- Quality Construction. Like other Smoke Hollow models, this unit is made from solid steel construction. It’s not light, it’s not weak, it is not flimsy.
- Dual Locking Doors. Propane can be expensive. And so you do not want to be wasting it and trying to heat to the outdoors. With the dual locking system, this is not a problem because it creates a tight seal. Also, since there are two doors, one for the cooking chamber and one for the water pan and wood chips, you rarely need to open the main door.
- Assembling the product may be a challenge.
- The thermostat on the unit is not accurate.
12. Smoke Hollow 30164G 30-Inch Propane Gas SmokerView at Amazon
This is one of the top-rated gas smokers on the market today. It is superbly constructed, has a decent price, and leaves you with a great smoked product.
Its size and shape are comparable to other competing brands. It’s designed for outdoor use, has a temperature gauge in the door, and has a lock with a spring handle. You have decent temperature control, as this thing is able to produce up to 10,000 BTUs.
With more than 1.5 ft.³ of cooking capacity and three chrome-plated cooking grids, you have space to cook just about anything you want.
What really sets this model apart is that it has a fully welded steel cabinet construction. The heat stays constant, and the unit retains heat better than its competition. With 10,000 BTUs of the constant heat, you are able to cook meat, fish, and poultry to your heart’s content.
When you just look at it, it doesn’t seem like it offers much. But when you take this unit apart and examine it for what it is, it is a powerful 30-inch smoker that gives you reliability and durability that you would otherwise find in more expensive models.
- Maintains a Good Temperature. This model excels at keeping a solid temperature. It doesn’t fluctuate. The temperature gauge on the door is relatively accurate.
- Works Well in Cold Temperatures. Because it can maintain internal temperature and because of its ability to reach higher temperatures, this unit works well even during frigid winters.
- Decent Price. When compared to other models of this type, this is a decently priced unit. It has a level of quality that surpasses its price mark.
- Made from One Piece of Steel. This unit is made out of a single steel sheet. It’s sturdier because it has fewer welds and joints. This also allows the unit to store more heat and maintain an even temperature.
- There are really not a lot of bad things to say about this unit. Most of the complaints you will find are due to a factory defect or something that happened in transport. It’s just a sturdy unit.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Gas Smokers
Gas vs. World
- Propane smokers fire up fast. You will not spend a lot of time waiting for these things to heat up.
- While the taste is not exactly what you would get from wood or charcoal, it’s pretty close and requires a fraction of the work.
- Propane is cheaper than electricity.
- Propane is more flexible than an electric smoker because you can use it anywhere you can bring your propane tank. You are not forced to rely on an electrical outlet.
- A gas smoker will not give you the same taste you will get from a charcoal or wood-burning smoker. It just can’t because the same type of combustion that takes place with wood and coal is not present.
- A gas smoker does not give you the same feeling that comes from watching over the wood, watching over the coal, and tending the fire as the traditional smoker. Some kind of feel like it is cheating.
- If you run out of propane mid-smoke, you may inadvertently ruin your meat.
Gas Smokers Compared to Other Types
With a gas smoker grill, the propane tank keeps the heat steady and constant. They are simple to use. All you need to do is set the temperature and basically walk away. If you want to grill and smoke at the same time, you may want to look for the best gas grill smoker combo available online.
Similar to gas smokers, an electric smoker is easy to maintain and requires almost no attention during the cooking process. They are great for beginners, but out of all types of smokers, they are the ones that are going to give your meat the least amount of smoky flavor.
Charcoal smokers are the traditional way of smoking your food. They have a very high learning curve, but they add flavor that just cannot be beaten.
Starting the fire takes a long time, and maintaining the fire takes a long time. If you do not choose the right type of charcoal, things will not turn out well.
If you want the flavor of charcoal and the convenience of gas, you may want to look at a gas charcoal smoker combo.
Pellet smokers are nice in that they are designed to feed only enough pellets into the firebox to keep your meat at a set temperature. Additionally, you can boast that your meat is being smoked by wood because technically the pellets are compressed wood.
The downside with pellet smokers is that because they have a mechanical auger, they are prone to breaking. And you still need electricity for a pellet smoker to work.
We have created some other guides if you want more information on charcoal smokers, gas smokers, and pellet smokers.
Things To Consider When Purchasing A Gas Smoker
A small propane smoker will make enough food for you and your family. A medium-sized smoker may make enough food for you and 20 – 30 other people. A large smoker can make enough food to cater to a party all day long.
Some gas smokers can double as a grill. So if you’re looking for the best of both worlds, gas this is good for you.
Remember, just because a smoker is more expensive does not mean that he is the best gas smoker. First, identify what your budget is. Then find the model that has the best reputation, the most features, and is right for your needs.
For many pitmasters, smoking meat is tantamount to a religion. When they put their name on a product, or when they approve a certain product, it’s because they realize it is the best.
You can purchase a generic smoker, but they usually do not offer any future support, and there is no guarantee that the product you get is going to be any good.
Gas Smoker Brands
Masterbuilt has built its business on these pillars:
- Faith and Family First, and then the Rest.
- Do the Work and Make It Fun.
- Leading Edge Quality and Innovation.
- World-Class Customer Service Every Time.
- Share the Goodness.
Each one of these founding ideas is reflected in the products they create. When you look at Masterbuilt propane smoker reviews, people comment on the high quality of the product and the commitment of the company to providing excellent customer service.
It is clear that product innovation is at the heart of what they do. They have developed an unmatched reputation with electric smokers, and they will continue to work to keep their products the best. As a team, they work together to create products that make life great.
Starting in 1948, Char-Broil brought its first grill to the market. Every year since then they have introduced innovation after innovation with the goal of becoming the standard-bearer for modern grills and smokers.
Char-Broil gas smoker reviews online attest to the fact that they are making their dream become a reality.
The creative minds behind Char-Broil believe that they have on their shoulders what they refer to as the “heritage of innovation.” Their goal is to make grilling, smoking, and barbecuing more affordable and more memorable.
Every time you purchase a Char-Broil vertical gas smoker, you know that you are purchasing a product from a company that is performance-driven.
Whether you use your grill occasionally or you use your grill every single day, they want it to work the way it should from the get-go. They pride themselves on producing a product that allows you as their customers to: “Live It Up.”
If you’re a beginner at smoking you also need to have a good thermometer for monitoring the temperature of your meat. With wireless meat thermometers, smoking a brisket can become way easier than ever.
How to Season a New Smoker
Ready for your next cook-off with that sleek BBQ gear? Well, hold your horses because there’s one thing you need to do first- season it! The initial step to grilling some finger-licking barbeque is to learn how to season a new smoker. The task may seem daunting but worry not because we’ve got you covered.
Seasoning isn’t just about adding pepper and salt to meat but rather, cleaning the inside of your smoking equipment. You might hear other BBQ aficionados call it ‘curing’ or ‘pre-seasoning,’ and to some extent, they’re right. It’s laying the proper foundation for tremendous BBQ results. Let’s explore simple steps that you should follow to unlock your smoking beast truly.
What You Didn’t Know About Seasoning
Seasoning a brand-new smoker serves two primary purposes: extending the equipment’s life by preventing rust and cleaning off unwanted contaminants from the manufacturing process. But more importantly, it’s a great chance to know your BBQ baby inside-out to avoid ruining any expensive brisket.
The exact method will vary from one smoker to another, be it a pellet, ceramic, propane, offset, or electric smoker. However, there are a few necessary steps that apply to each one of them. So, grab some cooking oil, dish soap, and fire-making materials, and let’s get started!
Step-by-step Guide on How to Season a New Smoker
As we mentioned, seasoning is the first thing you’d want to do with your modern smoker. If your smoker is one of those that needs post-manufacturing assembly, you’ll have it easier because you’ll be dealing with one part at a time.
Step 1: Cleaning
Once you get your newly-purchased home, it might still have some leftover metal shavings, oils, solvents, or abrasive paint inside.
So, it’s a brilliant idea to clean grates, pans, racks, and the interior thoroughly with the use of soap and water. If you are doing it before assembling the individual parts, consult a professional grill cleaner.
Other experts suggest that you use a mild detergent to degrease the machine and plenty of water to remove grime and manufacturing oils. Utilize a soft cloth to prevent scratching the delicate finish. When through, allow the smoker to air dry.
Step 2: Spray/ Wipe down the interior with oil
Next up, you’d want to look for oil that has a high boiling point. Grapeseed or canola oil might do the trick!
This type of oil will help you attain a thin, hard, protective surface after heating. Use cooking can spray oil quickly, and it’s efficient too.
With a disassembled smoker, rigorously all of the interior, door, walls, and lid with a thin layer of coat. Then, coat grates and racks with a similar wipe. Most specialists advise against spraying the water pan, but if need be, coat it outside.
Finally, it’s time to let the oil soak appropriately for about 10 minutes before embarking on the heating process.
Step 3: Heating
For the heating procedure, you’d want to carefully heat the smoker too high temperatures and leave it there for 3-4 hours. We recommend that you follow a general thumb rule- bring up the temperature rating of your smoking device, according to its manual.
After the set time, bring it down to the average temperature to avoid warping the thin metal in most smokers. It’s not ready for meat yet, so don’t put anything inside except for the oil.
How Do You Season a New Offset Smoker?
When it comes to seasoning a new offset smoker, the steps are similar until Step 2. The guidelines below apply to offset smokers only:
Once you coat the entire smoker with high burn-point oil, fill a single chimney with charcoal, and then light them. The stack should be swamped with smoke within 10 minutes or so.
Let the chimney heat up continually. Accelerate the process by adding more firewood into the firebox. When the stack attains full ignition, pour the hot coals into the firebox.
Meanwhile, ensure that the intake and exhaust are wide open to allow for uninterrupted air inflow. It will aid the smoker to reach slightly higher temperatures than generally used for smoking.
Allow the smoker to heat a peak temperature rating of about 280-300 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 2 hours. Then allow the smoker to cool off completely before cooking.
How Do You Season a New Electric Smoker?
So, you have just unpacked your modern electric smoker and perhaps wondering what to grill first. However, seasoning a new electric smoker is as easy as a ‘dry run,’ and it’s something that you could do without breaking a sweat!
Back to Step 2, when you’re done with coating the interior of your smoker with oil. You must avoid applying oil to the heating element, chip tray, water tray, and grease tray. Particularly, do not fill the water bowl with water when seasoning a new Masterbuilt electric smoker.
- Fire up your electric smoker for the first time.
- Plug the smoker into a power socket. Experts recommend that you don’t use an extension when starting the electric smoker for the very first time. If you must, make sure to acquire a heavy-duty cord with an earth pin.
- Meanwhile, open up the top vent all through the seasoning process.
- Set your electric smoker to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and the timer for 2-3 hours.
- When the timer has 45 minutes remaining, add a load of wood chips. You can also do it at the beginning of the heating process. Add 8-12 chips into the wood loader after every 20 minutes until the 3 hours wind down.
Best Practices for Seasoning a Brand New Smoker
Here are a few tricks to make sure you don’t have a hard time when seasoning your smoker:
- Before you embark on the seasoning process, make sure the smoker is on a hard, level surface. You don’t want all the oil to run back and forth on either end of the chamber.
- If you have a large smoker, consider using a spray bottle when spraying its inside rather than a bunch of cans. Then use a soft cloth to spread the oil evenly.
- Ensure you mop up any excess oil at the bottom of the smoker before heating. Remember, the goal is to attain a thin, even coating.
Now that you know the nitty-gritty of how to season a new smoker, you can go ahead and cook all those tasty and delectable barbeques. Regardless of what type of smoker you own, Daddy Cooking Tips has all the information you need to become a BBQ fanatic. Seasoning a new smoker takes time, but it’s butter-to-bread easy.
Again, you must understand what model of smoker yours is. Read the manual first to eliminate all the guesswork. Then read this guide to know everything about seasoning a smoker and why it’s not a complicated process after all.
Need to check out the best smokers of the year or the latest BBQ recipes in town? Not sure which wood type is suitable for meats? Rest easy. Our blogs and How guides will help you take your barbequing skills to the next level.
Making The Decision
It is been really fun reviewing some of these awesome gas smokers. Now, it’s up to you to decide which product is right for you.
If after looking at these products and certain ones catch your eye, we encourage you to do more research. The idea is to learn as much as you can about the smoker before you purchase it.
There are a lot of brick-and-mortar stores that sell smokers. However, my recommendation is for you to buy your smoker online. That way, you’re able to research it and also see what other people who have already used the smoker say about it.
When you read gas smoker reviews, you get a better feel for what it’s like for the average Joe to use the smoker, and that will make it easier for you to buy the best gas smoker for your needs. Find a smoker you like, grab a slab of meat, and get smoking.