Have you ever tried to cut into a thick and juicy piece of meat, only to experience complete disappointment because the knife you were using wasn’t up to the task? This is a common problem for anyone who enjoys the finer cuts of meat, but being let down by your silverware does not have to occur.
The solution to your problem is choosing the best kitchen knife for cutting meat. In this post, we will look at ten of the best kitchen knives for cutting meat.
Our personal experience, the features of the knives, and the pros and cons of each knife will be examined in order to help you pick out the right type of knife for your budget and your eating habits.
Having a satisfactory eating experience requires having the best cutting knife available instead of settling for a mediocre one, so let’s get started!
Our Top Recommended Knives for Cutting Meat
- If you are looking for a knife that can perform the greatest variety of tasks, the Chef Knife Set Knives Kitchen Set – Stainless Steel Kitchen Knives Set Kitchen Knife Set with Stand – Plus Professional Knife Sharpener – 7 Piece Stainless Steel Cutlery Knives Set by Home Hero is our top recommendation. Whether you need a knife to cut raw meat, knives for carving, a simple utility knife, or a pairing knife, this set will include them. With a stainless steel blade, a stand to display the knives, and an extremely affordable price, this set should work for anyone.
- If you are someone who enjoys a lot of diverse meals featuring bread, vegetables, and thick cuts of meat, our top recommendation is the Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife. This knife features an electric motor and multiple blades to ensure that you are always able to cut through both bread and meat with ease.
- While the DALSTRONG – Shogun Series Slicer – Japanese AUS-10V Super Steel – Vacuum Treated – Guard Included (10″ Butcher-Breaking Cimitar Knife) may be more expensive than many of the others on the list. The unique design and corrosion resistance make it one of our favorite high-quality knives.
Best Knives for Cutting Meat:
1. Mercer Culinary M23011 Millennia 11-Inch Granton Edge SlicerView at Amazon
If you are looking for the sharpest knife for cutting meat, this product is one of our favorites due to the quality of steel. It is also designed to be easy for the consumer to use, thanks to a handle that is made to protect against slipping.
Consumers praise the sharpness of the knife. Both amateur and professional chefs have used this knife in their kitchens and consistently praise how easy it is to cut through a variety of food, including thick meat, toasted bread, and thick vegetables.
- The knife is made from a single piece of steel, which makes it less likely to bend or crack.
- Japanese high-carbon steel is used for the construction of the blade, making the knife last longer.
- The handle’s finger points and finger guard make it easier for you to hold on to the knife.
- Does not require much pressure to cut
- Simple maintenance with a whetstone to keep sharp
- Must be washed by hand
- Blade cover must be purchased separately
- Not good at cutting small or thin foods
2. Imarku Chef Knife-Pro Kitchen Knife 8 Inch Chefs knife High Carbon GermanView at Amazon
When looking for cutting knives for meat, we were particularly impressed with this Imarku chef knife due to the quality of its design and its ability to remain functional for a long time. This knife also ranked highly with us due to its ability to use for a variety of meat-cutting purposes.
Consumers love the versatility that this knife brings to their kitchen. While some chef knives simply are not fit for cutting thick slices of meat, this knife is able to remove meat from the bones with ease. Consumers also praise how comfortable the knife is to handle.
- The blade is made from stainless steel and carbon, making the cutting portion of the knife highly resistant to wear and tear.
- Professional grade handle designed with ergonomics in mind, to make chopping easier.
- The blade is resistant to both corrosion and tarnish, which means it will last much longer than other knives.
- The eight-inch blade makes it easier to cut through most slices of meat.
- Looks professional thanks to the chrome finish
- Good for cutting, dicing, chopping, and slicing
- Not dishwasher safe
- Does not cut vegetables as well as meat
3. CUTLUXE Boning Knife – 6″ Flexible Fillet Knife – Forged High Carbon German Steel – Full Tang & Razor Sharp – Ergonomic Handle Design – Artisan SeriesView at Amazon
This versatile boning knife is one of our favorites due to the sheer flexibility of its cutting skill. It is one of the best knives for cutting raw meat because you can easily cut around the bones. If you need a knife for cutting meat bones, this knife will be a great addition to your kitchen.
Owners of this boning knife love the way this knife reduces the hassle of de-boning meat. They also report enjoying the fact that it is so resistant to corrosion, wear, and tear.
- Edge angles measure 17 degrees on each side, resulting in cuts that can maneuver around almost any type of bone.
- Metal has been cooled in nitrogen, which has hardened the blade and made it more durable.
- The handle is constructed from a military-grade high polymer, making it highly resistant to water, heat, and cold.
- Can be used for removing scales, making fillets, removing the skin, and trimming fat off of meat
- Do not have to be sharpened before first use
- Should be hand-washed and not put in a dishwasher
- It will need to be sharpened weekly
4. Chef Knife Set Knives Kitchen SetView at Amazon
If you cut a lot of meat, you may need more than a single knife. You might need a meat-cutting knife set, and this one is one of our favorites thanks to the comprehensive nature of the set. No matter what type of meat you need to cut, you will likely be able to do so with this set.
Customers who purchase this knife set are thrilled to discover that they are able to cut a variety of foods. While some meat cutting knife sets are only suitable for cutting meat, these knives are able to easily cut through vegetables, pizza, and even cheese as well as meat.
- The set includes multiple knives including chef, carving, bread, utility, and pairing.
- The knife is made from stainless steel with a laser finish to make the set look elegant and to make each cut smooth.
- You’ll receive both a stand for displaying the set and a knife sharpener with the set.
- The base is sturdy and hard to tip over
- A good knife set for both professional chefs and amateur cooks
- Cleaning the stand can be difficult and requires taking it apart
- Includes non-stick paint which cannot be cleaned with harsh cleaners, such as steel wool.
5. TUO Cutlery Vegetable Meat Cleaver Knife-Chinese Chef’s KnifeView at Amazon
If you work with a lot of raw meat, do a lot of hunting, or simply cut a lot of thick pieces of meat, a cleaver will be the best knife for chopping meat. This cleaver is one of our favorites due to the sturdiness of the knife and the bold aesthetic that the design provides.
Consumers love being able to show this knife off in their kitchen. Not only is it a valuable knife for chopping any type of meat, consumers also love its ability to cut through the toughest vegetables.
- The blade has a full tang, which means that the blade and the handle were forged from the same piece of metal, increasing the durability of the blade.
- With a hand-polished edge and tempered steel, the knife is resistant to stains and chipping.
- A Pakka wood design offers both beauty and an ergonomic grip.
- Does not have to be sharpened when first removed from the box
- Weighs over half a pound
- Does not come with a case
6. Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Boning KnifeView at Amazon
If you are looking for a knife to cut through tough cuts of meat, this one will not work for you. But it will do an excellent job as a knife for cutting cooked meat or delicate meats such as fish.
Consumers love being able to have a quality knife for such an affordable price despite being made from quality Swiss steel. They enjoy having a knife that is targeted toward delicate meat that can be harder to cut than thicker steaks.
Having a good carving knife in the kitchen is a must, but don’t forget that you also need to have a high-end meat grinder too. Especially for those who love to make burgers and sausages by themselves, we gathered the ten best meat grinders that you can find on the market.
- The blade is curved, making it easier to cut thin cuts of meat.
- The Fibrox Pro handle provides protection against slipping.
- Suitable for cooks with any level of expertise
- Made for people who need to do the cutting job quickly
- Recommended for hand washing only
- Stains easily when excessive dishwashing soap is used
7. DALSTRONG-Shogun Series Slicer-Japanese AUS-10V Super SteelView at Amazon
If you are missing a butcher slicing knife in your collection of knives, this Dalstrong slicer will be a superior choice. It easily claims a spot as our favorite butcher knife due to its sleek design and superior cutting abilities.
The sheer power of this butcher knife makes consumers love it. They praise the knife for being able to slice through cartilage, fat, and meat from a variety of sources, including beef, poultry, and pork. This knife is loved by consumers who crave a knife to easily slice through their steak as though the steak were made of butter.
- The full tang of the knife results in one solid piece of metal making up the knife and the blade, which will extend the robustness of the butcher knife.
- A unique Tsunami Rose pattern decorates the blade of the knife and helps to make a daring and artistic addition to your kitchen.
- A tampered blade results in less resistance during slicing.
- Resistant to rust and corrosion
- Comfortable grip
- Pricey so it may not be suitable for your budget
- Cannot handle fish or boning
8. Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric KnifeView at Amazon
When looking at knives designed to cut meat, many of our favorites were unable to handle bread as well. Do you love serving thick slices of rustic bread loaves alongside your steak? If so, this knife will be able to slice through both of them.
For consumers, the ability to buy a knife set with a motor is very important, especially for anyone with arthritis in their hands. This knife makes it easier to slice both meat and bread for anyone who is in a hurry, has little patience, or has difficulty holding other types of knives.
- This set includes one blade for cutting bread and one blade for cutting meat.
- The knife comes with a special butcher block that is able to hold the base and the blades when you are not using it.
- A powerful motor makes slicing both bread and thin cuts of meat easy to do.
- Limited 3-year warranty
- One button to control the power
- Includes a safety lock
- Comes with a serrated edge, making sharpening impossible
- Heavy motor results in loud noise while in use
9. Dexter-Russell S112-10PCP Butcher Knife 10 InchView at Amazon
Do you hate the idea of a thick slab of meat on your plate? Do you prefer only thin slices of delicious protein? If you are looking for the best knife for slicing meat thin, this Dexter-Russell model is our favorite due to its sleek design and ability to thinly cut through even the thickest meats.
The versatility of this knife is often praised by consumers. While it is excellent at slicing thin cuts of meat or fish, consumers also report being able to use the knife for chopping. Others report that they use this knife as a general butcher knife in addition to slicing meat.
- A blade length of ten inches makes it easier to cut through bigger cuts of meat.
- The tip is pointed at reducing slipping and getting caught in pieces of fat.
- Does not need to be sharpened when it first comes out of the box
- Weight of more than half a pound and may be too heavy
- The handle is made of plastic
10. Shanasana 8 Carving Knife Ultimate Meat Cutting Knife-PerfectView at Amazon
When looking for the right knife for cutting deer meat, this Shanasana carving knife exceeded our expectations. The knife truly lived up to the promise of being able to carve meat to any level of thickness, regardless of the type of meat being cut.
Consumers love that this knife is easy to care for and can be used on a variety of meats, including turkey, deer, brisket, and ham. The lifetime guarantee also makes consumers very happy.
- Blade measures eight inches, which makes cutting through thicker cuts of meat easier.
- The quality and durability of the knife are increased due to the 100% stainless steel design.
- The knife weighs only 4 ounces, which makes cutting large portions of meat more comfortable.
- Dishwasher safe
- Can slice very thin or very thick cuts
- It May need to be sharpened before the first use
- Does not include a protective cover for the blade
Types of Meat Cutting Knifes
When you are looking for the best type of knife for cutting meat, you have four main choices to choose from, depending on what job you need the knife to perform.
A butcher knife is one of the most popular forms of knives found in a kitchen, due to the amount of work they can perform.
They are excellent steak-slicing knives, but they can also be used to fillet and de-bone.
Boning knives are used for slicing through bone. You will ideally want a boning knife to be either curved or flexible in order to remove animal bones, hides, and skin.
A cleaver’s large rectangular blade is designed to cut through thick meat and bone. Cleavers are rarely very sharp.
A skinning knife is preferred for hunters and people who spend a lot of time fishing. Their blades are generally short and thin.
Cimeter knives are used to cut large pieces of meat, such as roasts or ham.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Knives for Cutting Meat
When you are buying knives for cutting meat, there are several factors to consider. Meat knives perform a variety of different functions, so it is important to know exactly what you are expecting the knife to do before you purchase it.
What do you need the knife to be able to do?
Are you going to be cutting raw meat, frozen meat, or cooked meat? Are you going to be using the knife for dual purposes?
If you need a knife that cuts meat and vegetables equally well, not all knives designed to cut meat will be right for you.
You need to consider how much you want to put into the knife.
Some knives will be sharpened immediately out of the box, while other knives will need to be sharpened before you can use them.
Some knives will need a special knife sharpener, while serrated knives will most likely need their entire blades replaced.
Also, consider how often you are willing to hand wash your knives.
Some knives cannot be placed into the dishwasher because they will destroy them.
Whenever you are looking for a knife, make sure that you know whether or not it has to be hand-washed.
Determine how much you want to pay for your meat-cutting knife. You can easily buy a knife for under $25, and you could also pay more than $100 for a knife.
Before you begin to shop for your knife, figure out how much you want to spend on the features that you think you need.
Best Knives for Cutting Meat FAQ
How Do I Clean My Meat Cutting Knife?The instructions for cleaning will vary depending on the knife. It is important to follow factory instructions on cleaning the knife, in order to prevent dulling or destroying the blade.
Do I Need a Butcher Knife or a Meat Cleaver?While a butcher knife is a good knife for everyday common use in the kitchen some jobs may require a more forceful blade. If you need a good chicken-cutting knife or a mutton-cutting knife, a cleaver can easily remove the backbone, ribs, or other bones that are in the way. A butcher knife may shatter if you attempt to use it to remove these bones.
What Types of Knives Should I Include in My Kitchen?The answer to this question depends on what type of cooking you do. However, in general, you should include at least a cleaver, a butcher knife, a carving knife, and a pairing knife.
Making the Decision
Our top pick for anyone looking for meat knives or a good knife for cutting steak is the Chef Knife Set Knives Kitchen Set. This set will help both amateur and professional chefs who need to have the right knife for their cooking needs.
But you must decide which knife is right for your cooking or hunting needs. Now that you have read this guide, you know what to look for when choosing the best knives for cutting meat.
Use the tips learned in this guide to make a smart choice that you can feel good about when buying a meat-cutting knife.