Table of Contents Hide
- The 9 Best Nakiri Knives:
- 1. TUO Nakiri Knife – Vegetable Cleaver Kitchen Knives
- 2. Kyocera Revolution Nakiri Ceramic Knife, 6-inch Vegetable Cleaver, Black
- 3. Kai Wasabi Steel Nakiri Knife, 6-1/2-Inch
- 4. DALSTRONG Nakiri Knife – 6 inch – Phantom Series – Japanese High-Carbon AUS8 Steel Kitchen Knife
- 5. Mercer Culinary M22907 Millennia 7-Inch Nakiri Knife
- 6. Shun Cutlery Classic 6.5” Nakiri Knife
- 7. Mac Knife Japanese Series Vegetable Cleaver
- 8. Tojiro Kitchen Knife F-502
- 9. Zelite Infinity Nakiri Chef Knife 6 Inch Alpha Royal Series
- Factors to Consider When Buying a Nakiri Knives
- Best Nakiri Knives FAQ
Everyone has been in a situation where a tool they are used to appears to prolong an easy task. Chopping vegetables, for example, is an easy task. It can also be made difficult and cumbersome if you are using the wrong knife. This article offers a review of the best Nakiri knives to help make kitchen work easier.
You can use any knife to chop your vegetables. But the one that gifts you that chef-like experience is a Nakiri knife. A Nakiri knife is an answer to that chef-like feeling you desire or perfectly chopped vegetables. Keep reading to know more about these knives.
The 9 Best Nakiri Knives:
1. TUO Nakiri Knife – Vegetable Cleaver Kitchen KnivesView at Amazon
It is made of specific German stainless steel. This gives it a touch of performance that other knives lack.
Then handle is made using high-tech Packwood. The high-density Packwood is not only sanitary but also stable. Do not expect it to crack or be frail like other wood handles. The design is also quite beautiful, and it stands out in your cutlery pen.
The handle is ergonomic. This ensures comfort while in use. You also get a lifetime warranty. This is a great Japanese vegetable knife. You are not going back to ordinary knives after trying out this one.
- High-quality steel. It makes it durable.
- Beautiful and ergonomic handle. The high-tech Packwood is stable.
- You get a lifetime warranty.
- Some people find the blade thickness.
- The grip may not work for slicing or chopping.
2. Kyocera Revolution Nakiri Ceramic Knife, 6-inch Vegetable Cleaver, BlackView at Amazon
This knife has a ceramic blade. Its main component is the zirconia material from Kyocera. Expect it to encompass the beauty that is expected from Japanese knives.
The quality is also not to be questioned.
Unlike what you may be thinking, this blade is sharp and works like steel blades. Incredible edge retention compared to steel knives. This quality helps to demystify the notion that its ceramic material is frail in comparison to steel.
The blade of the Kyocera Revolution Nakiri Ceramic knife is rust-proof. You can use it for years, and there will be no hint of rust. It is also easy to clean.
Use it for chopping vegetables, herbs, and boneless meat.
- Sharp blade.
- Great edge retention.
- The blade is rust-proof.
- The blade easily cracks. Quite fragile. Should not be dropped.
- It starts to chip after a while. You may need to be careful to avoid ceramic chips in food.
3. Kai Wasabi Steel Nakiri Knife, 6-1/2-InchView at Amazon
If you are looking for a good Nakiri vegetable knife, then look no further than the Kai 6716N Wasabi Black. Those who want to chop or cut vegetables quickly have their tool in this Nakiri knife.
The blade is Daido steel. It is strong and with superior edge retention. It is beautifully designed and will stand out in your kitchen.
You will find the finishing quite impressive for your blades collection.
The price is quite affordable. It is perfect for those looking for favorably priced knives.
Customers credit it for being affordable and a delight to use.
- It is affordable.
- Great edge retention.
- Chops vegetables quickly.
- They are beautifully embellished with a Japanese character. Alluring to the eyes.
- The handle is a little underwhelming. Compared to other knives of similar size, it is slimmer.
- You cannot use it for rough chopping.
4. DALSTRONG Nakiri Knife – 6 inch – Phantom Series – Japanese High-Carbon AUS8 Steel Kitchen KnifeView at Amazon
Knife collectors will find this knife riveting. This is an amalgam of performance, beauty, refinement, power, and purity. Expect no disappointments while working with this knife.
Every Nakiri knife review that includes this knife will mention its Japanese AUS-8 steel. You never have to worry about factors like edge retention, durability, and strength.
The sharpness of this knife is also a point to consider.
It is also flexible and resistant to corrosion. It maintains its beauty for a long time. This is a knife designed to perfection. It fits into your palm. You can keep cutting for as long as you can.
Customers claim it is sharp. It is also durable, and you will get value for your money.
- Durable and very strong.
- Edge retention is guaranteed.
- It can be fragile, as some customers have reported.
5. Mercer Culinary M22907 Millennia 7-Inch Nakiri KnifeView at Amazon
This knife boasts an ergonomic handle. You can easily slice your finger if you are not careful of the comfort it gives. The Santoprene handle makes it quite popular.
The handle is textured, which enhances safety by increasing slip resistance. You can chop vegetables even with wet hands and keep all your ten fingers. Also, do not expect it to break down soon. The high-carbon steel material used makes it resistant to rust and corrosion.
The tapered ground edge makes it stable. It also makes it efficient and thus the best Nakiri vegetable knife. No one wants to invite friends over and have them bring take-out.
- Ergonomic handle. Your comfort is ensured while using it.
- The textured handle increases slip resistance. You are sure to keep all your fingers.
- There are no complaints yet about this knife. If you are not careful, you may get a few stitches.
6. Shun Cutlery Classic 6.5” Nakiri KnifeView at Amazon
Getting this knife is the only way to have a taste of Shun’s Classic line of cutlery. Shun’s excellent range of cutlery is known for its beauty and versatility.
This knife does not disappoint. You should expect an excellent performance.
The blade is made from VG-MAX steel. This means it is quite durable. Its versatility is seen in its different uses which include slicing, chopping, peeling, trimming, and dicing. You never get tired of its use.
This knife makes you enjoy your kitchen duties. The blade is rust-resistant. The knife’s handle has a comfortable grip.
Customers credit this knife for being sharp, beautiful, and an amazing purchase.
- Expect the blade to last long.
- It is versatile. You can use it for various purposes.
- It is sharp. It gives you an easy time with vegetables.
- It is brittle. It can easily break.
- Edge retention is questionable. Be careful while using it.
7. Mac Knife Japanese Series Vegetable CleaverView at Amazon
This is a beautiful Japanese knife. Everything about it speaks of its elegance and ease of use. This is a perfect vegetable knife. Expect perfection while chopping your vegetables.
The blade is made from molybdenum steel. Expect the blade to be corrosion-resistant. It is also strong and sharp.
The advantage here is that it maintains its sharpness even after use for a long time. The length of the knife is also quite comfortable for chopping vegetables.
Customers credit it for being a good fit for vegetables. You enjoy cutting veggies with this knife. It is easy to use, and its being razor-sharp means it comes highly recommended.
- It is the perfect knife for cutting vegetables.
- Its length is comfortable.
- Quite strong.
- It is lighter on the hand.
- Customers complain of the blade rusting after a short while. Rust spots develop after use.
- The lightness of the knife is a problem for others.
8. Tojiro Kitchen Knife F-502View at Amazon
This is a beautifully made knife. It is made of VG-10 super steel, which is rust-resistant. It is not only sharp but also heavier than other Nakiri knives. It is a great Japanese knife that will not lead to disappointment.
This knife is quite hard, thus strong and durable. Expect it to last long and not be as brittle as other Nakiri knives. It offers the experience that Nakiri knives are known to have.
This knife is versatile as it can be used for dicing, mincing, and slicing vegetables.
Customers say that it is a great purchase for vegetables. Others complain about the knife’s handle which limits its effectiveness. The majority believe it is a great tool.
- The blade is rust-resistant.
- Sharp like other nakiri knives.
- Strong and durable blade.
- The uneven rivets make the handle problematic. This depends on the customer’s preference.
9. Zelite Infinity Nakiri Chef Knife 6 Inch Alpha Royal SeriesView at Amazon
This knife is simply amazing. It is versatile and makes cutting vegetables an easy and smooth experience. This knife will easily become your favorite kitchen knife.
The Zelite Infinity Nakiri blade is made up of Japanese steel, which is quite durable. This type of steel retains its sharpness for a long time. Rust is also unheard of with this knife.
The handle is quite durable and ergonomic as well. It is triple-riveted and well-rounded. The grip is also comfortable. You will get unmatched performance with this knife.
Customers appear to have reservations while buying this knife. These reservations are demystified after using this knife. The experience is incomparable.
- The handle is ergonomic. Comfortable grip.
- Durable. It is built with Japanese steel.
- The blade edge is said to be fragile. Customers have complained about this bit.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Nakiri Knives
Do not just walk out and buy the next Nakiri knife you see on the shelves. There are factors to consider before making such a purchase. These include:
The blade material
You want a knife that will last for a long time. Longevity is key when buying a knife. The preferred blade material is high-carbon stainless steel. Durability is ensured here, and you are guaranteed strength.
High-carbon steel makes maintenance easy. This also makes sharpening easy. Ensure that the blade is of high-carbon stainless steel.
The price of an item must play a role in your purchasing decision. You know your budget and capability. This applies to all items.
High-quality items will require you to spend more. As you plan your budget, have this at the back of your mind. You will not get a knife with a high-carbon stainless steel blade that comes cheap. Plan accordingly and set aside a reasonable amount.
The knife’s handle
You want to avoid handles that lead to many accidents. If the handle is not ergonomic, then avoid it. Ergonomic handles are comfortable on your palm and make your work easier. A curved handle is perfect and will be easy on your palm. A textured grip is also crucial to increase slip resistance.
The length of the blade
The length of a blade is crucial as well. Chopping will be difficult if you are using a knife that is less than 5 inches. Nakiri knives will make your work easier, but only if you use the right length. Check the length of the blade before you make the purchase.
The quality of the finishing
Finishing is crucial as well. Hammered finishing will ensure that food does not stick to the blade. Food release is easy, and knife drag is reduced. You do not want to use a knife and use a lot of energy pushing through vegetables. This is not safe. Check on finishing quality.
Best Nakiri Knives FAQ
What are Nakiri knives for?Nakiri knives come from the Japanese term Nakiri Bocho. The translation of Nakiri Bocho is cutting greens. The production of Nakiri knives sought to help deliver knives that would help cut vegetables only. Others can be used to cut boneless meat. Do not use a Nakiri knife to cut through bones. You will end up disappointed and with a broken knife. Use it for the purpose it is intended for.
Why use a Nakiri knife?There are many types of knives out there. Each serves a specific purpose. When used for the wrong purpose, a knife will not perform as it should. The same applies to Nakiri knives. These should be used because they allow you to cut without the problem of having food sticking to the blade. You never have to apply horizontal pull or push force. You will cut to the cutting board with no issues. Those asking the question of how to use a Nakiri knife now have their answer.
How do you sharpen a Nakiri knife?Yes. You have to sharpen a Nakiri knife in a certain way for enhanced effectiveness. The preferred form or method of sharpening a Nakiri knife is using a whetstone. This will help you have a sharp knife all the time. Do not try other ways you see online. Remember, you want to ensure the longevity of your knife. Use the manual if you are unsure.
How do you maintain a Nakiri knife?Maintaining a Nakiri knife is easy. You simply need to wash and dry it. This applies only when the knife is in use often. If not in use often, you should wash it and apply a thin layer of food oil. This should keep it free from rust and corrosion. You will have a knife that lasts for decades.
You need to arm yourself with the right information before you go out to pick a Nakiri knife. Choosing a knife seems like an easy task. But with the wrong information, you will return home with a frail knife.
The best Nakiri knife from the list above is the TUO Nakiri Knife – Vegetable Cleaver Kitchen Knives. This knife boasts a blade from high-carbon stainless steel. It is hammered, which reduces drag making sure food will not stick to the knife. The handle is ergonomic, and you will have an easy time using it.
If outside your price range, then consider getting the Imarku Nakiri Chef Knife 7-inch High Carbon German Stainless Steel.