Table of Contents Hide
- The 10 Best Pans for Steak:
- 1. Lodge Cast Iron Skillet
- 2. T-fal Professional Total Nonstick Fry Pan
- 3. Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan
- 4. Stone Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri
- 5. T-fal E76597 Ultimate Hard Anodized Nonstick 10 Inch Fry Pan with Lid
- 6. Tramontina Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan
- 7. Victoria Cast Iron Skillet Large Frying Pan
- 8. Carote 9.5-Inch Nonstick Frying Pan Skillet
- 9. OXO Good Grips Frying Pan
- 10. Le Creuset Signature Iron Handle Skillet
- Factors to Consider When Buying Pans for Steak
- Best Pans for Steak FAQ
Do you understand the importance of a quality pan when cooking steak? Every steak lover understands the importance of a good steak pan. The right pan can ensure that your steak will be cooked evenly and to your desired temperature. We compiled a list of the best pans for steak available today.
Whether you are a seasoned (pun intended) grillmaster or a novice, this article will provide you with all the information you need to find the best steak pan for you.
The 10 Best Pans for Steak:
1. Lodge Cast Iron SkilletView at Amazon
This skillet comes in a classic shape and is one of the best pans for getting the perfect crust on your steak as well as evening cooking your steak to your desired temperature.
Lodge has pre-seasoned this skillet with 1% natural vegetable, so it is ready for stove-top and oven use right out of the box. The 10.25″ size is great for cooking meals for one or two people or entire family meals.
While some customers say that this skillet needs a little extra seasoning with vegetable oil before regular use, they say that this pan is great for getting the perfect sear on your steak. Many say that this steak pan is a necessity for every kitchen.
Every kitchen needs a standard cast iron pan and Lodge makes one of the best on the market.
- Because this skillet is pure cast iron you can switch from the stovetop to the oven with ease.
- This skillet boasts decades of use with proper maintenance.
- This skillet is a bit on the expensive side coming in at around $25.
- Because this skillet is cast iron it can rust easily without proper care. Fortunately, this pan comes with care instructions to ensure years of regular use.
2. T-fal Professional Total Nonstick Fry PanView at Amazon
One of the best non-stick frying pans for frying your steaks is by T-Fal. This modern convenient frying pan is safe for all cooking methods, including induction heading.
This modern non-stick frying pan has a plastic handle that can withstand oven temperatures of up to 400 degrees, and the unique T-Fal Thermo spot heat indicator lets you know when the pan is preheated.
Customers appreciate the non-stick surface to get a good sear on their steak without losing the crust from sticking to the pan. They say that this pan is a great value for the price.
This classic non-stick pan is an industry-standard that is guaranteed to become regularly used in your home.
- T-Fal offers a unique Thermo spot heat indicator that lets you know when the pan is perfectly preheated to get the perfect sear on your steak.
- At around $25 this pan is a great value for the quality.
- The plastic handle is oven-safe up to 400 degrees
- This pan is dishwasher-safe.
- Because this pan is non-stick you should never use metal utensils with this pan or the non-stick coating may flake off on your food.
3. Lodge Cast Iron Grill PanView at Amazon
If grill marks are a priority for you, the best grill pan would be the Lodge cast iron grill pan.
This square, 10.5″ pan is specifically designed to get the perfect grill marks on your steaks every time. It can be used on any cooking surface, including induction heaters and even campfires! The tough cast iron can last you decades if properly cared for.
Those who regularly use this grill pan say that this is great for grilling indoors and still achieving the perfect grill marks. Some warn that you must follow care instructions closely to prevent rusting.
The secret to achieving outdoor grill marks from the comfort of your kitchen lies in the Lodge cast iron grill pan. This is sure to become a steak lover’s favorite kitchen pan.
- The pan is oven-safe and can easily be transferred from the stovetop to the oven.
- Lodge makes all their cast iron products in the USA.
- This pan comes preseason and is ready to use.
- Because this pan is non-stick it is susceptible to rusting if not properly cared for.
- This pan is strictly for grilling meats and vegetables and is not a versatile item in the kitchen.
4. Stone Earth Frying Pan by OzeriView at Amazon
Ozeri stone earth frying pans are German-made eco-friendly pans with a stone-derived coating.
The company boasts that its pans are free from APEO, GenX, PFBS, PFOS, PFOA, and the lesser-known chemicals NMP and NEP. The stone-derived surface is non-stick and scratch-resistant. The heavy-gauge aluminum exterior has a magnetized base so the pan is compatible with induction heaters.
People appreciate the stone-based coating as an alternative to other, potentially harmful, non-stick coatings. They say that, as long as you follow the upkeep instructions, this pan will get you through as many steaks as you desire for years to come.
If you want an eco-friendly pan without the hassle of cast iron, this pan offers clean cooking with natural stone and the convenience of a non-stick coating.
- This pan is offered in six different colors.
- The heat-resistant silicone handle ensures that you won’t burn your hand when handling this pan.
- Unlike other non-stick coatings which may use controversial chemicals, this pan is eco-friendly.
- This pan is on the expensive side at just under $40.
- Because of the materials used to make this pan, it is not oven-safe.
5. T-fal E76597 Ultimate Hard Anodized Nonstick 10 Inch Fry Pan with LidView at Amazon
If you want a hard-anodized frying pan, T-Fal has the E76597 non-stick frying pan that comes with a lid.
The anodized aluminum heats up quickly and retains heat evenly. It is corrosion and scratch-resistant and won’t react to acidic food. Because it is oven-safe up to 400 degrees, you can sear your steak on the stovetop and finish cooking it in the oven for the perfect temperature steak every time.
Some people say that this is the best pan they’ve ever owned. They say that even though it is a little on the pricey side that the quality and value are unmatched.
If you want a standard pan with a non-stick coating that is sure to last you a long time with regular maintenance, this T-fal non-stick 10-inch pan is just right for you.
- This pan is dishwasher safe so you don’t have to worry about the hassle of hand washing.
- The proprietary Thermo spot indicator lets you know when the pan is preheated for a perfect sear every time.
- You can’t use metal utensils with this pan for fear of scratching the non-stick surface.
- This is a more expensive pan at just under $40.
6. Tramontina Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry PanView at Amazon
This professional-grades aluminum frying pan from Tramontina will have you feeling like a restaurant chef when you cook your steaks.
The design of this thin pan ensures great heat distribution when you are cooking and the non-stick coating is dishwasher safe. Tramontina also offers a lifetime warranty on this pan so you can rest assured that it will be a staple in your kitchen for years to come.
People who use this pan say that you get great quality for the price and say that the long silicone handle keeps your hands protected and works great for flipping pancakes. Many appreciate that this pan is dishwasher safe so they don’t have to bother with handwashing it.
If you prefer lightweight pans for cooking your stead the Tramontina aluminum pan will make you feel like a professional chef!
- This pan comes with a lifetime warranty so you can have it repaired or replaced if need be.
- Nonstick coating and aluminum body mean that this pan is dishwasher safe.
- Because this pan is aluminum, it cannot be used with induction cooktops.
- This pan is on the expensive side at just under $40.
7. Victoria Cast Iron Skillet Large Frying PanView at Amazon
This gorgeous cast iron pan is a classic way to get a great sear on your steaks from the comfort of your kitchen. Victoria makes one of the best cast iron grill pans on the market today.
At 12 inches around this cast iron pan is big enough to cook for even large families. It comes pre-seasoned with kosher flaxseed oil and the lips on the sides of the pan make for easy serving. This pan is great for baking pizzas, cakes, roasts, and best of all, steaks.
Customers love the size of this pan and say that it is great for making large family meals all in one pan. They love the value of the pan for under $30.
This pan is great for baking, cooking, grilling, broiling, and more. You will feel like a grill master with this gorgeous and versatile pan.
- Victoria offers a lifetime warranty for this pan if you ever need it repaired or replaced.
- This cast iron pan comes pre-seasoned with 100% kosher flaxseed oil.
- If cast iron is not properly maintained it can quickly rust.
- Because this pan is so large and made of iron it is extremely heavy and may be cumbersome to work with.
8. Carote 9.5-Inch Nonstick Frying Pan SkilletView at Amazon
This gorgeous granite stone frying pan is one of our top picks for a reason. This eco-friendly pan is non-stick and works on all heating surfaces including induction heaters.
The granite coating on this stone frying pan gives the pan a clean and sophisticated look while retaining heat evenly to cook your steaks perfectly every time. The aluminum interior of the pan ensures that it is lightweight and easy to use.
This pan gets rave reviews, with customers boasting that it is the best pan they’ve ever had. Many are impressed with the granite coating and everyone is saying that the price is right at less than $20.
If you are looking for an affordable and eco-friendly pan for cooking your steaks, this Carote skillet is exactly what you are looking for.
- This eco-friendly pan can be a new addition to your kitchen for less than $20.
- Pan is oven-safe up to 350 degrees, meaning you can transfer from the cooktop to the oven without worrying about harming the pan.
- Some customers have had trouble with the non-stick aspect of this pan.
9. OXO Good Grips Frying PanView at Amazon
The best skillet pan at an affordable price is the OXO Good Grips 10 inches frypan. This basic frying pan is great for everyday use.
The OXO Good Grips frying pan is hand-anodized with a non-stick surface and an aluminum body. It can withstand temperatures high enough to be transferred to the oven and the silicone handle makes for a comfortable grip.
Some people say that this is the best non-stick pan they have ever used and that it heats food evenly.
The OXO is a great basic frying pan for getting your steaks cooked and is a very affordable starter pan.
- Non-stick coating means you can use less oil in your cooking making your meal healthier.
- Oven-safe materials can withstand temperatures up to 390 degrees.
- This pan doesn’t work on induction stovetops.
- Because this pan has a non-stick coating, you can’t use metal utensils or you will scratch the coating off of the pan.
10. Le Creuset Signature Iron Handle SkilletView at Amazon
This Le Creuset signature iron handle skillet is in our top three for its beautiful design, versatility, and convenience.
This colorful cast iron pan is coated with enamel to improve its nonstick quality and it also allows the pan to be cleaned in the dishwasher. There is no seasoning needed for this cast iron pan and the nonstick enamel coating ensures that your food will slide right out of the pan.
People who use this pan say it is by far their favorite. They love the look and feel of a traditional cast iron pan with the added benefit of being dishwasher safe.
This modern cast iron pan is guaranteed to become a staple in your kitchen.
- This cast iron pan comes in eight different colors so you can choose your favorite.
- The enamel exterior protects the cast iron and is dishwasher safe, unlike most other cast iron pans.
- This is the most expensive pan on our list coming in at just under $100.
Factors to Consider When Buying Pans for Steak
Any pan on this list would be great for cooking your favorite steaks, though there are several factors that you should take into consideration before making your purchase. Here are a few factors to consider when buying the best pan for cooking steak:
Many pans on our list are made from cast iron. This is because once cast iron is hot, it stays hot, which makes it great for grilling meat.
According to Michigan State University, there are many benefits to cooking with cast iron.
If cast iron is too heavy or difficult to maintain, consider an aluminum skillet or something that can be thrown in the dishwasher.
Cast iron is much heavier than any other material used to make frying pans. If lifting heavy objects is a problem for you, consider something other than cast iron for your frying pan.
Certain pans like the Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan work great for grilling steaks but will not work well for much other than that.
Additionally, some pans on this list are oven safe while others would be ruined if they went in an oven. Consider exactly what you intend to use this pan for and choose accordingly.
We have frying pans for steak on this list for under $20 as well as pans closer to the $100 range.
Decide what your budget is for pans before you begin your search to prevent getting your hopes up on a pan you might not be able to afford.
Taking these things into consideration before you make your purchase will help you narrow down the perfect steak pan for you.
Best Pans for Steak FAQ
What is the difference between cast iron and aluminum or steel?Cast iron is seasoned with oil to make it nonstick. The benefit is that you get a nonstick surface with the even focused heat of cast iron. The drawback is that cast iron takes extra special care so it does not rust.
What is nonstick coating?Nonstick coatings generally use PTFE to ensure that your food is browned without sticking and leaving residue on the bottom of the pan. Most pans on this list use alternative methods to achieve a nonstick surface, such as granite coating.
What does anodized mean?Anodizing is a chemical process that uses electrolytes to increase the thickness of a surface. Pans that have been anodized are generally more durable than pans that have not.
What is induction heating?Induction heating is the process of electrically heating a metal object electromagnetically. A current runs through coils and heats up (usually metal) surfaces. Because some metals don't conduct heat as well as others, some pans on this list won't work with induction heaters.
What pan size should I get?While pan size is a personal preference it is always better to err on the side of larger. Even if you live alone you may find yourself wanting to host a dinner party and need a large pan to cook multiple steaks at a time.
Shopping for the perfect steak pan is an exciting endeavor. You want the best deal for a pan that is going to give you a perfectly cooked steak every time you use it. Fortunately, this list includes the best frying pans for cooking steak on the market today.
By now you should have a good idea of the best pan for steak that will work for you. Whether you are going for a lightweight model or a study cast iron pan, your steaks are sure to come out delicious from any pan on this list.
Take a look at the factors to consider and decide what is important to you. There is something on this list for everyone so get frying today!