Table of Contents Hide
- The 6 Best Propane Fire Pits:
- Factors to Consider When Buying a Propane Fire Pit for Your Backyard
- Propane Fire Pits - FAQ
- Making the Decision
What could be better than sitting around a warm fire with friends and family? Imagine being able to tell stories and spend time together while eating some warm smores or roasted nuts in your backyard or your favorite camping destination.
Unfortunately, due to the increase in wildfires, many states and parks are starting to restrict the use of traditional wood campfires. Plus, can be a hassle to set up and get started. The good news is that there are alternatives that you can use for wooden campfires.
Many companies now make portable propane or gas fire pits that are constructed with durable steel bowls or other materials that can safely keep the fire contained. Best of all, some of these systems have automatic ignition buttons that make getting the fire started a breeze.
If you start to investigate buying a portable fire pit, then you will quickly realize that there are thousands of options to choose from. Fortunately, we have tested many options and come up with a list of the best propane fire pits for your consideration.
The 6 Best Propane Fire Pits:
1. Outland Firebowl 870 Premium Outdoor Portable Propane Gas Fire PitView at Amazon
Outland’s Firebowl 870 won our pick for not only the best small propane fire pit but also the best overall fire pit. At only 24.5 pounds, this fire pit is relatively lightweight and easy to transport. It also comes with a carrying case that makes it a great choice for tailgating, RV trips, or other camping excursions.
Furthermore, it is easy to set up in just a few minutes without any tools. It also has an auto-ignition feature which means that you can quickly get the fire started without having to use matches or other flame sources. Its steel bowl is designed to be used in all weather conditions and will keep the fire safely contained while you sit back and enjoy the ambiance.
This fire pit measures 19 inches in length by 19 inches in width and 11 inches high. Despite its relatively small size, this product produces over 58,000 BTUs of heat per hour. It also comes with a ten-foot hose that you can use to keep a typical 20-pound propane tank out of sight in your backyard or your camping area.
Customers really like many of the premium materials used to build this fire pit. Outland not only used a steel bowl but also stainless-steel burners and chime valve knobs to give this product a sturdy feel. Owners also appreciate that it is lightweight and portable. Some purchasers do complain about the included cover and carrying strap’s durability.
- An all-weather steel bowl effectively keeps the fire contained.
- A CSA-approved fire pit that can continue to be used during some campfire bans. However, you should always check local regulations and restrictions before setting up and using a fire pit.
- Generates 58,000 BTUs of heat per hour to keep you warm and cozy.
- Can run continuously for up to 6 hours on the maximum heat setting with a 20-pound propane tank.
- Meets the CSA requirements to be used even during some campfire restrictions.
- An optional conversion kit allows you to use natural gas instead of propane.
- Included cover and carrying strap are a bit flimsy. You may want to consider upgrading to the optional carrying case.
2. Bond Manufacturing Aurora Portable Fire PitView at Amazon
Bond Manufacturing’s Aurora model is a good quality fire pit. It features a bronzed exterior and a steel fire bowl for improved durability over cheaper options. It is round and measures 18.5 inches wide and 14.7 inches high. Best of all, it weighs 18 pounds out of the box, which makes it one of the lightest choices on our list.
Even though it is compact and lightweight, this product still produces up to 54,000 BTUs of heat. That level of warmth would be great for tailgating or for use on hunting or camping trips. It also features a tank holder, a flow regulator, and a gas hose that will connect to a standard 20-pound propane tank.
The included locking lid helps keep your pit safe and secure while you are out and about. The integrated handle also makes it easy to carry this fire bowl to and from your camping or tailgate site.
People like how much heat the Aurora fire pit generates. 54,000 BTUs will provide warm heat for several hours on one tank of liquid propane. Some customers have had issues with the pit not igniting. We recommend that you always check the fuel line to ensure that there are no air bubbles or blockages before turning this product on.
- Weighs only 18 pounds for easy maneuverability.
- Knob to easily turn on the fire pit and adjust the heat level.
- A lockable lid with an integrated handle makes this model highly portable.
- At only 18 pounds, this is one of the lightest outdoor fire pits on our list.
- Comes with the regulator, connection hose, and other fixtures you will need to get it up and running quickly. Just add a propane tank and enjoy.
- The tank holder tray keeps your propane source secure and prevents it from tipping over.
- The igniter can take a couple of tries to get the fire started.
3. Heininger 5995 Portable Propane Outdoor Fire PitView at Amazon
Heininger’s 5995 outdoor fire pit has a compact design with a diameter of 19 inches and a height of 11.50 inches. It also only weighs 22 pounds, which means that it can easily go with you when you want to tailgate or go on a hunting trip. Yet, it is also powerful enough to generate up to 58,000 BTUs of heat.
The included 10-foot hose, regulator, and fittings can accommodate propane tanks between five and 20 pounds. We also like that it has a quick-start knob that can also adjust the pit’s flame intensity. Overall, this product is one of the best backyard fire pits available today.
People appreciate that this fire pit does not create smoke and burns clean whether they are in their backyard or out on a campground. They also really like that it can produce 58,000 BTUs of heat from such a small and lightweight frame. Some people dislike that this product does not come with a protective cover or carrying case.
- Ability to create 58,000 BTUs of heat with a standard propane tank.
- CSA-certified fire pit, which means it can be used during some campfire bans. However, we suggest that you always check the latest local restrictions before using any fire pit.
- Weighing 22 pounds, this pit is portable but also sturdy and durable.
- Comes with a ten-foot hose and lava rocks
- Ideal for roasting marshmallows or other non-greasy foods.
- The base remains cool, even while the flame is burning.
- Included fittings are only compatible with five-pound or larger propane tanks.
4. Klismos Outdoor Enamel Propane Fire PitView at Amazon
Klismos makes one of the best budget propane fire pit products on the market. This pit includes an enamel basin and a stainless-steel burner for improved durability and safety. It also has an integrated valve that you can use to raise or lower the flame intensity level.
This item weighs less than 20 pounds and has a diameter of 20.47 inches, and a height of just over 18 inches. At that size, it is extremely portable and could be a great choice for your outdoor activities. It also can produce 52,000 BTUs of heat to keep you warm after a long day of hiking, camping, or hunting.
Klismos also provides a gas hose and regulator in the box. All you will need to do is connect a propane tank and you will be ready to enjoy a nice campfire. It also comes with lava rocks in case you want to add some flair to your backyard or camping oasis.
Customers like that this economical product still has a CSA-certified regulator and adjustment knob. With these features, you can still use this pit even when some restrictions are in place. We strongly encourage you to check the latest limitations before using this fire pit.
Several owners do not like that this fire pit does not include a carrying handle or a cover. You will have to buy your own case or strap to carry this pit.
- Weighs less than 20 pounds.
- Creates 52,000 BTUs of heat from a compact fire bowl.
- Can be used on your patio, at the park, or while camping.
- Comes with a CSA-approved regulator and a gas hose.
- The enamel coating is easy to clean and maintain.
- A great budget-friendly option for an outdoor fire pit.
- Does not come with a lid or a carrying case.
5. Best Choice Products 28 Inch Fire Pit TableView at Amazon
Best Choice Products specializes in outdoor products including fire pits, fire tables, and outdoor lounge furniture. Their 28-inch model is our choice for the best propane fire pit table. It measures 28 inches long by 28 inches wide and has a height of 24.75 inches.
This product generates 50,000 BTUs per hour and can run for more than six hours with a full 20-pound propane tank. Best of all, the wicker sides hide a space where you can store the tank out of the way. This option also comes with lava rocks that you can use to enhance the look and feel of your patio.
The fire pit table also has a cover that you can use to create a small wicker-style table when the flame is not in use. This table would be an ideal choice for your enclosed patio because the propane flame does not generate as much smoke as a normal wood-burning fire pit.
Owners really like that this fire pit has an area under the table with a magnetic holder that not only hides your propane tank from view but also makes it easy to swap the tank out when it is empty. This product generates a good amount of heat for several hours in one propane tank.
Some users have had issues with starting this fire table. If a lava rock blocks any part of the flame ring, then the propane does not flow properly and the fire will not ignite. You may need to reposition your fire glass or lava rocks to ensure that there are no blockages.
- 50,000 BTU per hour heat capacity
- Can hold up to 150 pounds if you want to add lava rocks or fire glass around the flame for additional ambiance.
- The enclosure under the table keeps your propane tank out of sight during operation.
- Table conceals the propane tank and keeps it protected during use.
- 50,000 BTUs of heat per hour would be perfect for your deck or patio.
- The lightweight design is easy to move when no propane tank or lava rocks are installed.
- A thin pit cover works as a table when the flame is not in use but may not adequately protect the internal components from the weather. You may want to purchase a more heavy-duty cover for your pit if you plan to leave it outside.
6. BLUBERY 30″ Propane Gas Fire PitView at Amazon
BLUBERY 30-inch model is one of the best outdoor gas fire pit options on the market today. This table measures 30 inches by 30 inches and is 24.81 inches tall. At that size, it is large enough to store a 20-pound propane tank below the table for easy operation.
This product also comes with an electric ignition switch and a heat knob for more precise control. BLUBERY fire pit can generate up to 50,000 BTUs of heat per hour to keep you and your guests nice and warm. The stainless-steel bowl also resists rust and corrosion to provide long-lasting outdoor use.
The included cover will allow you to use this pit as a traditional cocktail table when the flame is not turned on. Even while the flame is burning, the edges are wide enough for your guests to place drinks, snacks, or other plates around the table. However, you should be careful with using plastics or other materials that will melt when exposed to heat.
Current owners like the larger size of this fire pit. This table is large enough to hold drinks and food while you sit around and enjoy the fire. Many people also like the amount of heat that this pit generates for the price. However, this pit is heavy to move and does not come with wheels.
- Electronic flame starter and temperature control knob.
- Space to store a 20-pound fuel tank out of the way under the table.
- 600D nylon table cover provides waterproof protection for your pit when not in use.
- CSA-certified for use on patios, balconies, or other outdoor spaces. However, you should review your local fire regulations or your neighborhood’s rules before setting up and using this pit.
- Can hold lava rocks or fire glass to add some color and natural elements to your outdoor space.
- The starter uses one AAA battery for reliable and consistent functionality.
- At 68 pounds, this fire pit is heavier and less portable than some other options on our list.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Propane Fire Pit for Your Backyard
Given the large number of fire pits available on the market today, there are several factors that you should consider when making your purchase. These attributes include the materials used to manufacture the pit and the amount of heat that it can generate.
You should also consider safety features such as the ignition and flame control mechanisms and the fittings used to connect the propane tank.
Maximum Heat Output
In general, many people want to have a high-output propane fire pit that can keep them warm and be used year-round. The heat that each fire pit puts out is measured in BTUs. Most propane pits have a heat rating between 40,000 and 150,000 BTUs.
In general, 50,000 or more BTUs are ideal to generate warmth while camping, hunting, or doing other outdoor activities. This level of heat will not only keep you warm but also enable you to roast marshmallows or nuts over your fire.
Some cheaper fire pits have a manual ignition system where you must first turn on the gas and then light it with a match. This approach is like lighting a pilot light on an old stove. It can be dangerous if you forget that the gas is on and wait a while to light the flame.
Premium fire pits have numerous safety features that will not only make them safer for you to use every day but also may allow you to use them when campfires are restricted. First, these pits have integrated gas regulators and electronic start switches or knobs that are more reliable than using a match.
If you are going to use a fire pit, please always check for the latest limitations on campfires in your area. CSA-certified fire pits with the above safety mechanisms can often be used when wood-burning fires are restricted. However, there may be cases where all open flames are not permitted.
Construction Materials and Design
A durable fire pit will also be constructed from steel and have stainless-steel burners for increased stability. Higher-end products also come with locking lids and may also have enclosures to store the propane tank out of the way underneath the frame.
Some fire pit tables can even hold drinks or food plates while you and your guests enjoy the flames. Others can hold lava rocks or fire glass, which serve as insulators and can radiate heat even after the flame is shut off.
Propane Fire Pits - FAQ
What size liquid propane tank should I use with my fire pit?Like gas grills, most fire pits are designed for use with standard 20-pound propane tanks. Some models can use tanks as small as five pounds.
Can I use the gas line from my RV for my fire table or pit?Possibly! Most fire pits come with a standard ten-foot hose with a regulator and fittings for a standalone propane tank. However, some users have noted that you can buy aftermarket hoses and fittings to connect your fire pit to your RV line. We recommend that you review the included documentation with your fire pit before connecting it to your RV's gas supply. Some models may not be able to interact with your RV's regulator.
How much heat can a portable propane fire pit generate?Propane fire pits typically produce more heat than similar natural gas models. They can generate between 40,000 and 150,000 BTUs per hour. Many of the options on our list create between 50,000 and 60.000 BTUs while still being light and small enough to move around your patio, yard, or campsite.
Making the Decision
For our money, we like Outland’s Firebowl 870 for its balance of portability, ease of use, and quality features. It is relatively lightweight at only 24.5 pounds. Yet it is powerful enough to generate up to 58,000 BTUs of heat per hour. With a 20-pound propane tank, you can run this pit for up to six hours continuously or longer if you use a lower heat setting.
This propane fire pit is an ideal option for tailgating in the stadium parking lot with your friends or taking with you on your next camping trip. You could even use it year-round in your backyard. Its steel bowl, stainless-steel burner, and chrome knobs are designed to resist inclement weather. The included cover will also help keep it safe when not in use.
We hope that you have found this propane fire pit reviews helpful and useful. Place your order for the Firebowl 870 today and start enjoying nature with a quick-start firepit ready to keep you warm.