Being raised on smoking meat, it is in my blood. It is both a science and an art and something that I take very seriously. With my 20-plus years of experience, I have been able to become a master smoker and have learned that having the tool always leads to the creation of perfectly smoked foods.
For many, using a pellet grill is an easy way to enjoy smoked foods with a consistent and authentic flavor. We have reviewed the pellet grills on the market, comparing size, ease of use, cost, and special features to bring you a complete list of pellet grills under $500.
Best Pellet Grills under $500:
1. Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill
The Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill has been designed with the home chef in mind. It features dual temperature sensors and a digital temperature display; both of which make the smoking process easier than the average smoker’s grills.
It is also very easy to use and perfect for those individuals that are new or just learning the arts and sciences of smoking meats; making the cost a bit over 500 bucks, a great value for the money.
Overall, we consider this SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill from Camp Chef to be a great buy. Its features are the dual temperature sensors and the digital temperature display; both of which allow for the highest standard of temperature control.
This will come in handy for all users, but particularly for those individuals who are new to the smoking process. In addition, the ashes clean out combined with the hopper clean out makes it very easy to clean and maintain.
- The automatic pellet auger dispenses when needed and shuts down when done
- The temperature control is flawless and works perfectly for consistency while cooking
- Easy to assemble, use, and clean
- The grease pan is on the smaller side and may need to be emptied more often
- Priced over five hundred bucks, but you can get this grill on sale for under 500 bucks.
2. Traeger Pellet Grills Tailgater 20 Grill
The Tailgater 20 pellet grill from Traeger is a product that offers consistent results in cooking your meat. It helps you to achieve the “firewood” taste without the work of cooking over an open flame.
This grill is extremely versatile as well, allowing for an all-in-one device that grills, smokes, bakes, roasts, braises, and barbeques.
We consider the Tailgater 20 to be a top contender for anyone who is looking to purchase a smoker or grill. It has tremendous versatility and allows one to experiment with many different ways to cook meals.
All of its features allow for easy use and consistent results. When you consider that this grill has a purchase price under $500, it is no wonder why we consider this item to be the pellet grill for the price.
- Durable steel construction offering a long lifespan
- Capable of grilling, baking, roasting, and smoking all in one device
- Easy to assemble and use
- The thermostat of this grill can fail at times causing the temperature to rise and fall
3. Z GRILLS PIONEER 450B Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
The Z GRILLS ZPG-450B grill is very easy to use and clean. It can cook meat in several different ways and has a digital controller that keeps temperatures maintained throughout the entire time food is cooked.
This grill, we consider it to be an excellent buy for a beginner or avid griller or smoker.
With its extreme versatility, portability, and ease of use, anyone can become a master chef at the helm of this device. This wood pellet grill from Z Grills will help you learn the art of smoking and the science of creating the perfect meal with every use.
- Versatility to Grill, smoke, bake, roast, sear, braise, barbeque, and char-grill food to perfection
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- Comes with 2 wheels and 2 wheels with brakes making it easy to move around
- The smoker setting lags at times in keeping a steady temperature through the duration of cooking
4. Cuisinart CPG-4000 Wood BBQ Grill & Smoker
The Cuisinart CPG-4000 Pellet Grill and Smoker is extremely versatile offering you ways to braise, smoke, grill, bake, barbeque, and even slow cook.
It automatically manages the temperature for an even cook throughout no matter what items are on the grill. This, along with its extensive list of additional features, allows for this grill and smoker to be considered a great buy for those individuals looking for a budget-friendly option.
The versatility and large capacity grill area make the Cuisinart CPG-4000 Wood BBQ Grill & Smoker perfect for large families or those who enjoy entertaining regularly.
It has been designed with ease of use, portability, and capacity in mind, making it a great buy. This grill and smoker will provide anyone with the ability to craft perfect meals for their family and guests.
- Included weather-resistant grill cover
- The side shelf is stationary while the lower shelf folds down for easy storage when not in use
- Digital display for temperature control
- Electric ignition for easy start-up
- The smoker tends to clog up with ash after several uses
5. Camp Chef PPG20 Pursuit Portable Pellet Grill
The Camp Chef Pursuit 20 Pellet Grill Smoker contains the ability to sear your meat with its lever-activated searing feature. It also contains a larger capacity cooking area as well as digital controls.
It has a super affordable purchase price, which we believe to be a bargain when its extensive list of features and capabilities.
Overall, we consider this grill to be a great option if you are looking for portability and the ability to sear meat within your grill/smoker. It is easy to use and clean.
Finally, its dual LED temperature probes allow you to test the temperatures without having to sacrifice heat and smoke from opening the chamber.
- Extremely portable with fold-up legs and wheels built into its base
- Contains an ash clean-out system for easy clean-up and maintenance
- Designed with two LED thermometers for superior temperature monitoring
- Comes with a three-year warranty
- The searing feature is unable to sear the entire grill at once
- Grill tends to be a little on the heavy side
6. Z Grills ZPG-7002E Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
The Z Grills ZPG-7002E Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker with PID Controller for Outdoor Cooking by Z Grills is fueled by 100% natural barbeque wood pellets; providing a “wood-fire” taste to your food.
It contains a digital control that ignites your grill with ease and provides an easy way to control your cooking temperature.
In addition, this grill features convection cooking ability allowing for many different options for cooking your meats, including grilling, roasting, braising, and baking in addition to smoking.
With a purchase price under 500 bucks, we consider this ZPG-702E Pellet Grill from Z Grills to be the budget pellet grill.
It has a larger capacity and is extremely versatile, making it easy for a first-time user to become familiar with smoking as well as other ways of creating the perfect flavor.
- Digital controller to maintain temperature through the entire cooking time
- Can accommodate larger families and gatherings with large groups of people
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- The temperature probe has been known to fail from time to time
7. Cuisinart CPG-6000 Deluxe Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
The Cuisinart CPG-6000 Deluxe Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker contain an extra large grill area that allows you to grill a large number of food items all at once; making it perfect for larger families or large group gatherings.
Overall, the Cuisinart CPG-6000 Pellet Grill and Smoker is a pretty good buy. It has excellent versatility and is very easy to use, which are features that will be much appreciated by any griller no matter how experienced.
This wood pellet grill from Cuisinart is perfect for large parties, or those individuals that are looking for an all-in-one grill.
- Large capacity allows for a ton of food to be grilled at once
- Made with heavy-duty steel for durability
- Large storage space to house your accessories, wood pellets, etc.
- There is no ash container, making for a difficult cleanout
8. Davy Crockett Pellet Grill by Green Mountain Grills
No products found.
The Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Pellet Grill is a portable pellet grill that is a bang for your buck. This grill comes with a 12V adapter and has Wi-Fi capabilities.
The legs fold up and can be used as handles for easy transport, as well as set up and clean up. The Davy Crockett Pellet grill is perfect for tailgating at the big game or a camping trip with the family.
Overall, we consider this Davy Crocket Pellet Grill to be one of the pellet grills for under 400. It offers tremendous value for the cost, particularly when you take into account its amazing versatility. This grill is extremely adaptable for almost any location or gathering.
- Temperature and cook times can be controlled using an app on your cell phone
- Extremely versatile, includes a meat probe, peaked lid, and convenience tray with utensil hooks
- It weighs only 57 pounds, making it perfect for use anywhere you happen to be
- The smaller stature of this grill may not make it appropriate for larger families or large groups/gatherings
When trying to decide on the best tool for your trade, it is best to consider all features and how they compare to the ultimate goal that you are hoping to achieve. It is imperative to consider the capacity, temperatures, ease of use, and mobility.
We consider the Junior Elite Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker from Traeger to be the grill on our list that will give you the best bang for your buck. It is easy to use, extremely durable, and will allow you to perfect not only your smoking abilities but several other awesome ways to cook your food.
If you believe that the Traeger Junior Elite grill may be a bit out of your price range, consider the next grill that we suggest purchasing, the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Pellet Grill.
With its Wi-Fi capabilities and its extremely portable design, this Davy Crockett grill will be sure to be your best friend at any event or outing.
We consider this list to be the grills under $500 that you can purchase as all grill offers versatility, mobility, and excellent value for your money.