We know our grills and smokers. Spending over two decades learning and exploring everything there is to know about grilling, we have developed a newfound love of flat-top grills.
These versatile and convenient units can be enjoyed indoors or outdoors; enabling you to have a perfectly grilled meal whenever you desire. We have compiled a list of high-quality Flat Top grills.
Comparing features such as size, number of burners, fuel sources, and primary use, we have come up with a list of the flat-top grills to buy.
Best Flat-Top Grills:
1. Blackstone Flat Top Gas Grill Griddle
The battery ignition on this grill allows you to start cooking quickly, without wasting time waiting for the coals to get warm. A side shelf and an additional shelf underneath the grill enable you to prep and store food without having to step away from the unit.
The Blackstone 28-inch Outdoor Flat Top Gas Grill Griddle Station is a great purchase for anyone looking for a large, yet easily portable grill.
- Two stainless-steel “H” style independently controlled burners
- 30,000 BTUs
- Battery-powered push button ignition for simple start-up every time
- 470 square inches of cooking space
- Product Dimensions: 44.5 x 19.5 x 33.5 inches
- Weight: 75 lbs.
- Propane fuel source
- Powder coated black steel frame is built to withstand the elements and is made to last
- Buyers love how quickly and easily these unit cooks just about everything you can think of
- Four adjustable heat zones make for a versatile cooking surface
- Some consumers have complained of having problems with the grease-draining
- The grill sits rather high above the flame, which may not be preferable for some users
2. Blackstone 36 Inch Gas Griddle Cooking Station 4 Burner Flat Top Gas Grill
This Blackstone 1554 Station flat-top grill is easy to assemble and presents an enormous cooking surface. You will be sure to grill any meal to perfection, no matter what size group you are cooking for.
The side tables allow for added prep space while the adjustable burners provide versatility while you are cooking. The Blackstone 1554 station is the propane flat-top grill on the market.
- Four adjustable stainless-steel burners
- The fuel Source is Propane Gas
- 60,000 BTUs
- Quick ignition button for easy start-up every time
- Four caster wheels, two that are lockable for transportability and stability
- Thick rolled steel surface allows for amazing heat distribution and retention
- 720-square inches cooking surface
- Product Dimensions: 62.5 x 22 x 36 inches
- Weight: 120 lbs.
- A large cooking surface is sure to be plenty for any size of a meal
- Product features make this grill safe for either indoor or outdoor grilling
- Four independently controlled burners enable you to customize heat levels based on your specific needs
- The weight of the grilling slate makes it difficult to detach and clean after grilling
- Grease from grilling with a stay on the slate which will allow excess to drop freely onto the drip pan
3. Blackstone 1650 Tabletop Grill without Hood Propane Fuelled
Blackstone Table Top Grill is a great way to bring grilling with you wherever you go. Simple set up and clean up, this grill is compact enough to fit in a large backpack. The “H” style burner allows for even heat distribution to provide you with the best cooking options across the entire griddle.
- 260 square inches of grilling surface
- 1 pound propane bottles for fuel
- 12,000 BTUs
- Extremely durable and sturdy grill slate is built to last
- 1 stainless-steel “H” style burner heats up fast and evenly distributes
- Product Dimension: 62.5 x 22 x 36 inches
- Weight: 25 lbs.
- The top turns upside down allowing for easy transport and storage options
- The griddle cleans easily, just let it cool down and wipe it with a paper towel
- Compact, portable, lightweight, and will fit even an oversized backpack
- Cooking capacity is extremely limited
- Some consumers have complained about having issues with the regulator
4. Royal Gourmet PD1300 Portable 3-Burner Propane Gas Grill Griddle
This griddle was designed for serving larger parties on the go. It has a vast cooking area with a quick ignition start-up. Other features, such as the large oil cup, allow for an easy clean-up and hassle-free portability.
All of this adds up to the Royal Gourmet PD1300 Tabletop Grill being the flat-top grill for camping or other outdoor use.
- 238 square inches of cooking surface
- Piezo ignition system enables quick and easy start-up
- Two stainless-steel adjustable burners
- 18,000 BTUs of cooking power
- Product Dimension: 22 x 18 x 9.4 inches
- Weight: 22 lbs.
- A 1-pound tank regulator is included
- The cooking surface is very large and can accommodate a sizeable group of people
- Buyers love the grease cup, including its vast size and easily removable for a cleanup
- Some grillers have complained about having to watch this grill the entire time they are cooking as the heat can get too hot.
- Other consumers have noticed that they have noticed some cool spots when cooking
5. Royal Gourmet 8-Burner Gas Grill
Royal Gourmet 8-Burner Liquid Propane Event Gas Grill was designed with versatility in mind. Despite its larger footprint, this grill can cook for any gathering, of any size.
This grill will be sure to please all of your tailgating guests. We at Daddy Cooking Tips consider this unit to be the commercial-grade flat-top grill you can buy.
- Eight stainless-steel tube burners
- 104,000 BTUs
- 950 square inch cooking surface
- Integrated folding windscreen to protect foods from the wind while grilling
- 2 sets of regulators for more control over the flame
- The electronic ignition system offers a reliable spark with every push
- 2 large capacity grease cups underneath the firebox help grilling last long
- 2 folding side tables offer additional prep and workspace
- 2 levels of heavy-duty shelves provide sufficient storage space
- 4″ lockable caster wheels for easy moving
- Liquid propane fuel source
- Product Dimensions: 90.6 x 24.2 x 38.2 inches
- Weight: 117 lbs.
- Large cooking spaces can accommodate cooking several foods at once and for large numbers of people
- 2 sets of stable regulators allow you to cook on only half of the surface if required for smaller groups
- Porcelain-coated grill grates for even heat distribution
- Large capacity comes with a large footprint, which may not be ideal for all scenarios and spaces
- Some consumers have complained that the stand and legs can be easily damaged
6. Royal Gourmet GB4001B 4-Burner Flat Top Gas Grill
This outdoor flat-top grill/griddle combination from Royal Gourmet has independently controlled stainless-steel burners allowing you to cook several different types of meals at once. It has a sturdy, open cart design with four locking caster wheels adding stability along with the ability to freely move the unit as desired.
- Four stainless-steel tube burners
- 792 square inches of cooking surface
- 52,000 BTUs
- Electronic ignition system, which offers a reliable spark at every push
- Fixed side tables add space for the chef to prep and handle foods
- Product Dimensions: 61 x 23.6 x 38 inches
- Weight: 124 lbs.
- Propane fuel source
- Consumers love that the griddle is equipped with side handles so that it is easy to remove for cleaning
- The grill/Griddle combination offers excellent versatility and allows you to cook anything you want
- Large cooking spaces with independently controlled burners provide the ability to grill for any size group of people
- Some consumers have found that the back of the grill gets hotter than the front, which may not be ideal for all grillers
- Construction is not of the highest quality, and some buyers complained the legs were easily bent and damaged
7. Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
The Camp Chef Flat Top Grill’s greatest selling point is its versatility. With options to cook on a griddle or a grill, this unit can be used to cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day.
When you combine that with the added features enabling storage, food prep, and work spaces; you can easily see how this grill provides exceptional results perfect for any occasion.
- 48,000 BTUs
- Four stainless steel burners
- Griddle surface: 604 square inches
- Grilling surface: 501 square inches
- Two large folding shelves on each side help to create a smaller footprint,
but add much-needed prep and work space while cooking
- Two large shelves underneath the grill/griddle top provide storage for items
that will be needed throughout the grilling
- The matchless ignition system for quick flames
- Product Dimensions: 36 x 24 x 20 inches
- Weight: 140 lbs.
- Propane Fuel Source
- Adjustable leg levelers allow you to keep the grill stable no matter what terrain you are on
- Independently controlled burners for even heat distribution and custom cooking zones
- The corrosion-resistant design will allow you to enjoy this grill for a long time
- Griddle sides do tend to heat up at times, which can be a safety concern when using this top to cook
- This unit is extremely heavy, which may harbor difficulties if attempting to transport
8. Blackstone 36-inch Stainless Steel Outdoor Cooking Gas Grill Griddle Station
This unit from Blackstone is flap-top griddle grilling at its best. It has a large cooking surface to accommodate any number of guests with a removable griddle that is easy to clean. A great addition to any large party or gathering, this grill is designed to be used anywhere and to cook anything you can think of.
- Four independently controlled, stainless-steel burners
- 720 square inches of cooking surface
- 60,000 BTUs
- Battery-powered ignition enables immediate use of your grill with the push of
- Removable griddle top, fold-up legs, and four industrial-strength caster
wheels allow you to transport to any location that is desired
- Product Dimensions: 62.5 x 22 x 36 inches
- Weight: 50 lbs.
- Propane gas fuel source
- The thick cold rolled steel cooktop helps to create excellent quality food
- Buyers love how fast this grill heats as well as the evenly distributed heat throughout the cooking surface
- Assembles quickly and easily in under an hour
- The temperature of the grill could be affected by wind as there is no cover at the back of the unit
- Some have complained of having problems with the drip channel and grease tends to drip down the side of the leg of the grill
9. George Foreman GFO3320GM Indoor/Outdoor Gun Metal Electric Grill
The George Foreman indoor/outdoor electric grill is a great addition to any tailgating party, provided you are prepared with an electrical hook-up. It can be used with or without its stand and can be used outdoors or inside if you prefer.
The ceramic, non-stick surface provides extensive durability, so you will be able to enjoy all that this grill has to offer again and again.
- 240 square inch cooking surface
- The temperature gauge on the grill cover allows you to see the exact heat level
- The removable stand allows you to transport and set up this grill anywhere there
is a plug even inside
- Product Dimensions: 10.8 x 18.5 x 19.7 inches
- Weight: 21 lbs.
- Electric grill
- The adjustable temperature probe allows you to choose from five heat settings to be sure that you are getting the best results for every ingredient
- Ceramic coating allows for better resistance to staining and fading, without sacrificing durability
- The compact size makes transport extremely easy
- Some have complained that the stand can be a bit wobbly
- The grill cover may hang over part of the grill hindering some cooking
10. Blackstone Tailgater Stainless Steel 2 Burner Portable Gas Grill and Griddle Combo
No products found.
The Blackstone Grills Tailgater is the flattop grill combination on the market. It provides portability, durability, and extreme versatility; allowing any griller to use it for any type of party he or she desires.
- Two independently controlled burners; 1 stainless steel H tube burner and 1
cast iron burner
- 35,000 BTUs combined from both burners
- Includes grill box, durable grill grates, and vent for better quality cooking
- 512 square inches of cooking space
- Product Dimensions: 52 x 24 x 38.5 inches
- Weight: 75 lbs.
- Propane fuel source
- Durable construction allows each part the ability to last
- Adjustable legs allow the grill to stay level on any terrain
- The unit heats up quickly and cooks evenly across all surfaces
- Some consumers have complained about having trouble cooking on this in cold weather
- This grill does not have any wheels, which limits its mobility
Factors to Consider
When deciding on what flat-top grill would fit best for your needs, it is best to consider the factors below.
First, you will need to determine where you intend to use your flat-top grill.
Will you be bringing it along for tailgating and camping excursions? Or is it strictly for indoor use?
Features such as power sources and durability will be more important for those flat tops that will be traveling as opposed to those that will primarily be used inside the house.
Size Does Matter
Next, you should determine whether you will regularly be cooking for large groups of people. Or perhaps you will want to use it for your small family only.
Additionally, if you plan to use the flat top indoors most often, storage will also be a factor.
In this case, you will also want to consider the size of your kitchen and countertop space when choosing your flat top. And if you plan to use the grill while you travel, you should lean more towards a portable flattop grill.
How to Power Up
If you will be using your flat top inside most of the time, consider opting for an electric grill. If you plan to transport the grill and use it outdoors instead, your best bet is probably to purchase a gas grill. Your intention regarding the mobility of the unit will help you to determine what type of power source you should go with.
Is cooking on a flat top grill healthy?Due to its design being similar to that of a griddle, a flat-top grill enables the food to bake in moisture. This will prevent foods from drying out and allow you to use less oil while cooking and reduces the risk of burning.
Can weather effect my outdoor flat top grill?Unfortunately, it is possible for natural elements to mess with your flat-top grill. Of course, your grill should be properly stored or covered (if left outside) to ensure the best protection against rain, sleet, snow, and ice. Additionally, wind can also blow the flame around
What foods can I cook on a flat top grill?You can cook just about anything on a flat-top grill. Note that since the flat top offers no grates, so highly marinated meats, when cooked, could leave a mess. Also, because there are no grates, there will not be any grill marks on your food.
Can I use any pots or pans on a flat top grill?While you are able to use some cookware on your grill, you should do so with caution. For example, cast iron frying pans could scratch your grill surface. Those options that are a griddle grill combination may be the best resource if you intend to use cookware atop your device.
We determined that the Blackstone 1554 Station flat-top grill is the outdoor flat-top grill. It combines simplicity with durability and optimal cooking results, making it our favorite.
Its design and innovative technology provide the best bang for your buck. And, as always, Happy Grilling!