Whether you’re looking for an awesome housewarming gift or need a complete set of kitchen knives for yourself, we want to help you get the knife sets for under $200.
We identified all of the sets that have everything a busy cook needs and then sorted them by quality, value, and price. Then we took the ten off the top of the sets we were left with and put them together in this post for you.
Let’s get right to it. Decide which one of these is for you.
Best Knife Sets Under $200
1. Home Hero Stainless Steel Knife Set
For a knife set under $200, this one is surprisingly complete. It has all the cutlery you need, plus some extras. The pizza knife is designed to be rocked across a pie. That’s a lot better than fighting with a pizza cutter.
The cheese knife is worth a mention, too. It is sharp enough to cut hard cheeses, and it has a design with open ports that keep cheese slices from adhering to the metal.
Keep the kitchen knives sharp with the sharpener that comes with them. But the steak knives are serrated. They cut easily through the thickest meats without any need for sharpening, ever.
- Includes chef, paring, carving, bread, utility, cheese and pizza knives, six steak knives, kitchen scissors, peeler, sharpener, and acrylic rack
- Knives and tools are stainless steel with non-stick coating for durability and ease of use
- Polypropylene handles are easy to clean
- Kitchen knives are straight edge so you can keep them razor-sharp, steak knives are serrated and never need sharpening
- Fantastic value
- Kitchen knives have a special coating to keep food from sticking
- Polypropylene knife handles and acrylic rack are long-lasting and will not warp or stain
- Stainless steel may eventually rust if you’re not very careful with cleaning and drying
- None of the knives is full-tang – Which means you won’t have that perfect balance
2. Emojoy Knife Set With Wooden Block
The problem with an all-stainless steel knife set is, as mentioned in the review above, that it may rust without special care.
The way around that is to use stainless with high carbon content like the German steel these knives are made from. Emojoy is so sure that they will never rust, that they offer a lifetime warranty against them.
You get all the cutlery you will ever need, and it all comes in a genuine wood or wood veneer block. Choose the wood for the ultimate in durability, or the veneer for cost savings.
- Includes 8” chef, 8” slicing, 8” santoku, 8” bread, 5” utility and 3-½” paring knives, six 4-½” steak knives, kitchen scissors, sharpener, and woodblock
- All blades are made of German stainless steel, which is stronger and more resistant to rust than regular stainless
- Wood handles and blockage gracefully
- Full-tang knives offer superior balance
- German steel is durable and guaranteed for life
- You can choose between the density and heft of four different types of wooden handles or cheaper pakkawood veneer handles
- The traditional rod-type sharpener is effective and very easy to use once you get used to it
- Not dishwasher safe
3. AmazonBasics Premium Knife Block Set
Amazon’s basic knife set is designed to be a complete kitchen utility cutlery package that will last for many years.
Like nearly all-economy knife sets, it’s made of stainless steel. It won’t last for decades, as high-carbon steel sets may, but you’ll get your money’s worth when you consider the lower upfront cost.
You have to wash these by hand right after use and towel-dry them immediately after washing them for the best longevity.
This set includes a boning knife, which is something that is often missing from knife sets. The addition of this slender knife, made for boning poultry, makes this set complete.
Each knife has a full-length tang, to which the poly handles are secured with three rivets. The handles will never come loose with normal use.
- Includes 8” chef, 7” santoku, 8” slicing, 8” bread, 5-½” utility, 6” boning and 3-½” paring knives, eight 4-½” steak knives, kitchen shears, sharpener, and woodblock
- Stainless steel blades are easy to sharpen
- Kitchen knives are weighted for better balance than comparable economy knife sets
- Good value
- Full-tang, triple-rivet design is long-lasting
- The stainless steel is not enhanced with extra carbon content, so it isn’t machine washable and may rust without due care
4. J.A. Henckels International Statement Knife Block Set
If you’re looking for a good set of kitchen knives under $200, but don’t mind spending more than you would for an economy set, here you go.
They’re priced at just over 100 bucks. Now, we’d expect something better than regular stainless for that price. Be careful with these. Wash and dry immediately after use.
The construction is top-notch though. The handles are triple-riveted to the one-piece blade blank. They’ll last practically forever. There’s a steel end cap that makes for excellent balance and a nice, shiny look on your counter.
The final word on these: They can be a well-made and very functional part of an efficient kitchen, but you have to be very mindful to clean, dry, and put them away as soon as you’re done using them.
That goes for the steak knives. The longer everything stays dirty or wet, the more likely it’ll develop premature rust. Stay on top of it, and they’ll last for years.
- Includes 8” chef, 8” bread, 5” serrated utility, 7” santoku and 3” paring knives, six 4-½” steak knives, sharpening steel, kitchen shears, and hardwood block
- Blades are stamped, one-piece stainless steel for durability
- Steel endcap for enhanced balance
- The full-length blade is triple-riveted for cost savings and longevity
- Block is genuine hardwood for extra value
- Again, the low-carbon stainless blades may rust over time
- Not dishwasher safe
5. AmazonBasics High-CArbon Kitchen Knife Set
We had to scrutinize this set because we couldn’t believe the price of such a high-quality set of knives.
This many knives made of such well-processed steel at this price is virtually unheard of. But it turns out to be legit. And, therefore, it’s the best cheap knife set out there.
These ergonomic handles have the comfort you’d expect from a $100 kitchen set, but you’ll only pay a little over a quarter of that. That is incredible.
We don’t pressure anyone into buying anything. We’re more inclined to advise people to take their time and make a good decision. But you’d better buy them soon if you like them. The price is sure to go up before long.
- Includes 8” chef, 8” slicing, 8” bread, 5-½” utility and 3-½” paring knives, six 4-½” steak knives, kitchen shears, sharpener, and real pine block
- Blades are high-carbon steel, so they can survive some neglect
- Full-tang with triple-riveted handles for a nice feel in the hands and durability
- Incredible value
- High-carbon steel
- Genuine pine block
- Not dishwasher safe, even though it’s all made of high-carbon steel
6. Cuisinart Artiste Collection Knife Block Set
Cuisinart went with hollow handles to save on production costs with this set. We don’t particularly like that. It gives the knives a cheap feel. But we do like the low price. There’s the trade-off.
All in all, this is a good kitchen knife set for under $200. It should last for many years, as long as you take good care of them.
There are a couple of things we’re really happy with. Although you can tell that the handles are hollow, as opposed to full-tang, they are comfortable to hold and work with for extended periods.
That’s great for preparing big meals, like on Thanksgiving or other holidays. The block and knives will look nice and neat on your counter, too. You won’t want to hide this nice set of knives away.
- Includes 8” chef, 5-½” santoku, 8” slicing, 5-½” serrated utility, 2-¾” bird’s beak paring and 3-½” paring knives, eight 4-½” steak knives, sharpening steel, kitchen scissors, and block
- All knives and tools are made of high-grade stainless steel for better rust resistance than industrial stainless
- Lifetime Warranty
- Cuisinart used a better grade of stainless
- Bird’s beak paring knife is great for precision work
- A utility knife is serrated for more versatility
- The handles are hollow
7. Chicago Cutlery Insignia-2 Knife Block Set
These high-carbon steel blades are made to last. They’re thicker than most other blades in sets of this caliber, so they won’t bend and shouldn’t rust.
Curiously, the manufacturer advises against washing in a dishwasher. That’s strange, considering the corrosion resistance of this kind of steel. Perhaps they got some complaints of rusting?
Or they may just be extra cautious. Either way, handwashing is a must.
We like the sharpener. It’s built into the block. That’s one less thing to keep up with. You’ll never lose the sharpener, and it’ll always be right where you need it.
The knives are steel blanks with polymer handles triple-riveted to them. That’s pretty standard. But these rivets are pure steel. That makes them stronger. We can’t tell if they’re high-carbon steel or stainless.
If you handwash the knives, as recommended, you won’t have to worry about rusty rivets for a long time.
- Includes 8” chef, 8” slicer, 5” boning, 7” santoku, 7” bread and 3-½” paring knives, eight 4-½” steak knives, kitchen shears and block with built-in sharpener
- High-carbon stainless steel blades are long-lasting
- Polymer handles are easy to care for
- Triple steel rivets won’t rust
- High-carbon steel blades and tools
- Steel rivets
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Even though the metal is high-carbon steel, handwashing is still recommended
8. Cangshan S1 Series Two-Piece Carving Set
Up until this point, we’ve focused on complete kitchen cutlery sets. But knife block sets under 200 dollars are often lacking in one department: carving.
Carving is an art. You need an artist’s tools to fully enjoy it. That’s why we took some extra time and went looking for the best carving setup for you.
These handles are specially designed for a firm grip, which pros understand is essential for precise control.
The forks and blades are made of very hard steel that undergoes an elaborate heat-treating process to ensure that the edge doesn’t dull in the middle of a lengthy carving task.
This premium set can round out one of the sets that we recommend here. Or, if you already have a knife set, it can make it complete. Cheaper carving sets are available if you’re more concerned with affordability. But this one is for you if you want the best.
- Includes carving knife with a 9” blade and a 10-¾” carving fork
- Metal is forged high-carbon German steel for longevity
- Full-tang and triple-riveted ensure durability and comfort while carving
- Covered by a limited lifetime warranty for peace of mind
- Metal has a hardness of at least 58 on the Rockwell scale. That indicated durability and sharpness retention
- Ergonomic handles are engineered for comfort
- The carving knife blade can retain an angle of up to 16 degrees, which is incredibly sharp
- The price is rather steep for a two-piece carving set – This set is for those who want the best for carving
9. KitchenAid Classic Forged Series Kitchen Knife Set
This home knife set features blades and scissors made of the best high-carbon German steel. It will keep an edge much longer than any stainless knife, and it will resist rust perhaps for a lifetime.
It’s not often that you see a sharpener like this, either. It’s not the typical ceramic. Fine diamond grit, one of the hardest substances known to man, makes short work of any sharpening task.
It just takes a couple of pulls through this sharpener to put a razor edge on a blade. And that edge will hold up since this steel is so hard.
The block is genuine hardwood, but it’s painted silver for some reason. That’s a bit odd, but the color will go with most kitchens.
- Includes 8” chef, 5-½” serrated utility, 8” slicer, 7” santoku and 3-½” paring knives, four 4-½” steak knives, kitchen scissors, and silver-painted wooden block
- Very high-quality high-carbon steel blades and scissors for superior resistance to corrosion
- A built-in sharpener is convenient
- Full-tang knives are long-lasting and nicely balanced
- Premium steel construction
- The sharpener is built into the block and features #600 diamond grit to last a lifetime and give a very sharp edge
- Modern style compliments almost any kitchen decor
- We don’t like the idea of a painted woodblock
10. Romeker Kitchen Knife Set With Wooden Block
These handles in this cooking knife set are made of perhaps the most gorgeous wood veneer we’ve seen. It does look like solid wood.
The veneer does present a bit of a drawback. It has nothing to do with durability, as it holds up just as well as regular wood, but it does affect the balance to a small degree.
When we saw the steel butts on the knives, we thought that they were there to counterbalance the lighter pakkawood. But the extra steel must just be for looks because it doesn’t do much for balance.
The handles are very comfortable, so that kind of makes up for the weird balance. But some people don’t even care about having a perfectly balanced knife. This is, after all, a post about affordable sets.
We also reviewed a list of best chef knives under $100 if listed here are out of your budget.
- Includes 8” chef, 8” slicing, 7” santoku, 8” bread, 5” utility and 3-½” paring knives, six 4-½” steak knives, kitchen scissors, sharpener, and wooden block
- High-carbon steel blades and tools
- Wood veneer handles
- High-carbon steel construction
- Pakkawood, or wood veneer, handles look beautiful but don’t add much cost to the set
- Real wood block
- Not quite as well balanced as other sets on our list, despite the counterweight on the butt of every knife
Making the Decision
Home Hero has the best economy knife set. It’s priced right and has everything you need. It is made of stainless steel. Contrary to popular belief, stainless can rust after a while. Keep that in mind. But these will last for years if they’re washed and dried soon after use.
The AmazonBasics set, like every other kitchen knife set under 200 dollars we reviewed here, is complete. It’s a good beginner’s set, which makes it a great present for newlyweds or young people who are getting their first place.
Emojoy impressed us with their higher-end set. It is made of very durable steel that won’t rust. These knives are easy to sharpen and will keep an edge longer than any stainless steel blade.
Don’t forget about that Cangshan carving duo. If you do any carving, you’ll be happy with every penny you spend on it. You’ve seen the best. Make your kitchen happy and get a good kitchen knife set before your next gathering.