As you know, the best flavors come from the meat closest to the bone. In order to obtain these portions, you will need a well-made boning knife.
The long, thin blades of a boning knife assist you in navigating around the bones of your protein so that you can reach the most savory pieces of meat. Boning knives should be comfortable but still, provide excellent performance in removing bones and fat.
You will need the tip of the knife to be pointed while the remainder of the blade should be very sharp but still quite flexible.
We have researched all of the bestselling boning knives that are available on today’s market so that we can present you with a list of amazing options.
We know how important each cut of meat is, and want to help you find the best boning knife to add to your home kitchen.
Top Boning Knives Reviews
1. Mercer Culinary Ultimate Curved Boning Knife
The Mercer Culinary Ultimate is a boning knife with a curved, 6-inch blade that is a high carbon, stain-resistant Japanese steel.
Its razor-sharp edge allows you to sharpen quickly and is designed with a curved edge for precision when cutting meat away from the bone. The handle has been carefully constructed with textured finger points for a better grip.
Ergonomic for comfort, the polypropylene handle is also slip resistant for added safety. This knife is NSF certified and comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Hollow ground edge for easy edge maintenance and rapid sharpening
- Has the ability to glide through the meat with ease and very little resistance
- The blade is easy to maneuver around bones
- The blade is extremely sharp and may pose a hazard to those who are not as experienced or aware
- Consumers have commented that this knife tends to dull quickly
2. Millennia 6-Inch Curved Boning Knife from Mercer Culinary
First on our list is the Millennia boning knife from Mercer Culinary. Performance that you can count on, this boning knife boasts a curved 6-inch blade made of high-quality Japanese steel that is resistant to rust, discoloration, and other stains.
It has a razor-sharp edge which allows you to cut through anything with ease. This strong and durable blade is complemented by the ergonomic handle that is specifically designed for comfort and durability.
The handle of this knife also includes textured finger points for a better grip that helps to prevent your hand from slipping toward the blade while in use.
In addition, the handle gradually widens as it meets the connection to the blade, adding an additional protection for your fingers. Finally, this knife is certified with the NSF, a global provider of health and safety risk management.
This knife was designed with your safety in mind; it is the best curved boning knife available.
- This knife is very easy to use and highly effective
- Has the ability to cut several different types of meat
- Comfortable handle that allows you to use it for extended periods of time
- Some consumers have complained that this knife can be a bit difficult to sharpen
- This knife is much larger than typical home kitchen knives, which may pose storage and handling issues for some
3. Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife
The Victorinox Swiss Army is an extremely popular knife that cuts just about any type of meat you need it to. It is a boning knife that owns a 6-inch curved blade with a pointed tip for simple and smooth cuts from the bone.
The blade is made of high-carbon stainless steel making it resistant to rust and staining. This flexible boning knife has an ergonomic, non-slip Fibrox Pro handle that is perfect for use with delicate cuts.
NSF-approved and dishwasher safe, the lightweight handle on this boning knife will help reduce wrist fatigue while in use. The Victorinox Swiss Army knife is easy to sharpen and is designed for durability and long-term use.
- Extremely durable, this knife is able to withstand washing in the dishwasher
- Includes a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship
- Easy utilization, safe grip, and simple to keep sharp
- Some consumers complained that this knife dulled more easily than they prefer
- The handle is a bit thick and not as comfortable as some of its competitors
4. Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Straight Blade Boning Knife
The Victorinox Swiss Army straight-blade boning knife allows you to trim and remove meat effortlessly. A pointed tip will easily pierce the meat, enabling the straight edge to smooth and cleaning remove the meat from the bone.
The 6-inch, flexible blade is met with a non-slip grip that is perfectly weighted and balanced to provide easy handling and superior comfort. This is a very high-quality boning knife that is simple to use and is sure to complement your knife collection.
- The performance of this product is consistently excellent with each use
- Easy to keep sharp and simple to maintain overall
- Manufacturer lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship
- The handle on this knife is quite thick, which was not comfortable for all consumers
- Some people found this knife to be too flexible, causing them difficulty while making certain cuts in tougher meats
5. Mercer Culinary Genesis Boning Knife
The Mercer Culinary Genesis is a forged boning knife that is extremely effective in separating meat from its bone.
With a 6-inch blade forged of high-carbon steel, this knife will resist corrosion and rust that will cut your meat with ease. It is extremely durable and built to last.
The blade is designed with a tapered edge to allow easy honing and superior stability when separating meat from the bone with very little resistance.
This NSF-certified knife comes with a limited lifetime warranty that is comfortable to use. Its ergonomic handle provides a comfortable, non-slip grip while still being able to withstand extreme hot or cold temperatures.
- The size of this knife is ideal for several different uses
- Handles are built with safety features and are quite durable
- A budget-friendly option
- Some complained that the handle on this knife is a bit short
- Consumers have commented that this blade does not hold sharpness for a very long
6. Dexter-Russell S131F-6PCP Boning Knife
The Dexter-Russell S131F-6PCP is an excellent meat boning knife as it is thin and flexible for easy and smooth cutting. The 6-inch, curved edge enables easy maneuvering around bones while the high-carbon, high-allow steel is rust-resistant and enables simple re-sharpening when the need arises.
The handle of this knife uses Grip-Tex standards, designed for comfortable use even after several hours of cutting and chopping. The grip is soft, yet quite firm and features a large finger guard that helps to prevent slipping and injury.
- Consumers loved how the lightweight handle allowed them to use for several hours at a time
- The blade is flexible enough for light meats, but also firm for wide cuts
- Very easy to clean and extremely sharp, even right out of the package
- Some people found that the handles on this knife were a bit small and difficult to work with
- The seal between the blade and handle is considered to be of the best quality
7. Kessaku Boning Knife – Dynasty Series
The Kessaku Boning Knife from their Dynasty Series is handcrafted with cutting-edge technology and superior construction.
Made of German stainless steel it be extremely resistant to rust and corrosion. The handles are fiber-resin to withstand extreme heat and cold, moisture as well as impact.
Its comfortable design provides extra space around the knuckle area and is ergonomic to provide amazing control and agility while cutting. A well-balanced knife that is lightweight and reduces fatigue in your hands. We consider this to be one of the best boning knives for deer.
- Handle made of G10 Glass fiber resin for ultimate durability and strength
- Comes with a 100% lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects
- Full tang and hand-crafted solid construction
- This knife is a bit on the heavy side
- Some consumers complained that this knife is a bit stiff
8. Rada Cutlery Carving Knife
The Rada Cutlery is a high-carbon steel boning knife with a 6 5/8-inch stainless-steel blade. It is surgical grade, T420 high carbon steel that has been hand sharpened.
The handle is brushed aluminum and designed for a comfortable and pleasing performance with every cut. This knife is lightweight and designed for a precise cut every time.
- A high-quality knife that can be used as your “go-to” knife for cutting several different items
- Lifetime warranty covering material and manufacturing defects
- A great budget-friendly option that still performs very well
- Some people have commented that the grip is not very comfortable
- This knife needs to be sharpened more often than some consumers would like
9. Dalstrong Boning Knife – Shogun Series
This Dalstrong boning knife contains a sharp scalpel-like edge and is hand-finished with a mirror polish. The blade construction has been cooled with Nitrogen, which enhances flexibility and resistance to corrosion.
This Japanese boning knife is triple riveted to provide more resilience and full tang allowing for superior robustness. The blade is balanced to perfection and precisely tapers to provide minimal surface resistance.
The inward, curved shape will give you easy maneuvering around bones. The overall design of this knife enables comfort, agility, durability, and excellent performance with every cut.
- The blade is extremely tough and durable, allowing it to cut through several types of meats
- Consumers are commenting that this is a great-looking knife that performs very well
- Lightweight and well-balanced for easy cutting around bones
- There is a distinct way to sharpen this blade correctly and effectively; which may be time consuming
- The overall design of the handle may be a bit small for some users
10. LedgeON Professional Boning Knife
The LedgeON pro series boning knife has a 6-inch, high carbon, stainless-steel blade that has been hand polished. This blade is extremely sharp, has a high retention edge, and has high-level resistance to corrosion.
Narrow but well-balanced, this blade is tapered to a point at the end; which allows for precise cuts that are close to the bone without sacrificing any meat.
Created with a full tang blade for a safe but robust knife. The handle is triple riveted pakka wood that provides extreme comfort and superior control. It also has a solid piece of steel that passes through it to enable a firm and stable, ergonomic grip.
- Thoroughly tested for quality standards at the manufacturing level
- Comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- The larger handle and extra blade length are quite useful, according to consumers
- This knife may be a bit heavy for some consumers
- Consumers are complaining that the blade dulls quite quickly
Making the Decision
Finding the right boning knife can be a daunting task, but one that is most definitely worth tackling. The ideal boning knife will be comfortable to use and provide an exact cut that will not tear the meat as you slice through and around the bone.
We consider the Millennia boning knife from Mercer Culinary to be the best boning knife available. Designed for extreme comfort and built to ensure a long-lasting life span, this boning knife will provide you with precise and smooth cuts of meat.
If the Millennia boning knife is a bit too larger, consider the Victorinox Swiss Army with the curved blade. Just as precise and smooth as the Millennia knife, but with a bit smaller footprint and a more lightweight design. Purchase your perfect boning knife from our list today, and start enjoying flavorful cuts of meat that you can savor and enjoy